My mom gave me a headache for Christmas

I assume she gave him the better plot of land in the middle of town with utilities already provided. I picked out the good plot when I was in high school and convinced her it was a better investment property than this stupid one out in the desert wasteland.

I'm so angry right now. Her realtor friend finally got back to me on how much it would cost to run utilities. It will be a grand total of nearly $5,000 for a plot of land worth less than $2,000. She actually told me there wasn't any point in posting it for sale because there are already numerous properties in the town for sale in the exact same situation. She suggested I just wait until someone develops the area and try then. We're talking about the outskirts of a desert town with 0 amenities. It's also zoned residential so it's not like a commercial or agricultural company could come in and build up the area. I told her I didn't even want to know how many years and/or decades that would be. So I'm flat out going to figure out how to reverse this situation back on my mom. If I could sell it I would try, but I'm not keeping this junk piece of land and waiting until it's my turn to pay taxes on it.

So it has no power, water, sewer, gas, cable, or phone?

It is literally just a plot of dirt on the outskirts of a desert town. Maybe I could market it as a moisture farm.
big_smile.png

I really don't think off the grid people would want it. It's only an acre, if that, and next to the corvette race track that is open 7 days a week. There are other plots for sale with more land, less people and well away from any large buildings. When I last checked the real estate listings there were something like 20 open plots of land for sale around the outskirts of town. There are also the zoning laws to deal with that are fairly strict. They redid them some years back to appeal to the Las Vegas transplants.

On that subject, I don't really understand how it would be possible to live without at least a water bill in a place that gets almost no rain. The closest body of water would be Lake Mead roughly an hour away. I think it would defeat the purpose to have a water truck deliver water. A well would be an option if they could tap an aquifer, but that would come with its own headaches. There aren't any shade trees so temps could get to be 110 or more in a building in summer and there are sandstorms to deal with. Winter isn't any better dropping to 0 with limited, to no access to wood for a fire. It only snows in the mountains so that could be good or bad depending on the person. It sounds like some sort of punishment to me. I would want to live off the grid somewhere a bit more hospitable. People who want to live off the grid in the desert are too hardcore for me.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom