My neighbors duck was attacked

skrub04

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 17, 2016
Red bluff
So my neighbors duck was attacked by her dogs they lost 3 but her boy Donald is alive but took a pretty bad beating she had me come over and look at him and I noticed a lot of flies so I asked about maybe putting him inside and I know her hubby wouldn't be thrilled with a duck indoors so I volunteered my bathroom (thankfully my husband is used to finding random injured animal in the house) so we sprayed this purple antibiotic stuff on him and put neosporin in any open wounds we found but I am not sure what else to do or if there is anything else to do? :/ injury wise he has a couple holes in his neck and he is completely plucked under his wings but nothing looks broken and he has enough spunk to hiss at me lol he is drinking water and I have a food bowl in there as well. My neighbor is pretty upset and I wanna do everything I can to make sure he makes it.

Attachments

• 20180721_221531_001_01.jpg
    20180721_221531_001_01.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
My family had this very same thing happen to their ducks over a month ago. They lost two ducks and the remaining three had some very severe wounds in their chests which did require a vet exam, flushing, surgical staples, and antibiotics/anti-inflammatory meds.

Your main concerns are avoiding infection (a dog's mouth can sometimes contain bacteria lethal to poultry), maggots laid by flies into the wounds, and bacteria from his surroundings. If the wounds are shallow they should heal if you keep them flushed out. If they are deep or get infected you will need to see a professional to cure it.

It's hard to tell from the picture how severe Donald's wounds are, but for now I would suggest Betadine surgery solution to flush with instead of the purple spray. Keep the wounds clean, dry, and definitely away from flies. If he has to be outside or in water you'll want to wrap them with gauze and vet wrap. I was able to buy the solution and wrap at Tractor Supply and the gauze at Walmart.
canvas.png
5051412.jpg 07c8fbf2-a329-44b5-8963-7fd52735f88c_1.5a8148db1444d11e536dc632da2f3bdc.jpeg

Last edited:
The hole are maybe half an inch deep and he has 3 that we found on his neck but I am not sure if he would let me get close enough to take a good picture of the wounds :/ we have a tractor supply in town so I'll grab those today :) thank you should I reapply the neosporin after?

The hole are maybe half an inch deep and he has 3 that we found on his neck but I am not sure if he would let me get close enough to make s good picture of the wounds :/ we have a tractor supply in town so I'll grab those today :) thank you should I reapply the neosporin after?

I think that it would be fine to reapply the neosporin if you would like. It shouldn't hurt him as long as he's not eating it. Or simply flushing with the solution and blotting it dry with gauze afterwards will suffice as well. Good luck! You are a kind neighbor :hugs

You going to have to check those wounds real good for maggots. Clip the feathers back from the wounds so you can do it easier. If maggots are in the wounds you’ll have to get them off or they will make matters a lot worse. Wrap him in a towel so you can look him over real good. Put him in a tub with warm water and salt or Apple cider vinegar either of these may kill most of the maggots. Then you can work on the rest if there is any. Bless you for caring for your neighbors duck

I would give him some tub time in lukewarm water so he can clean up and feel better. Yes, watch out for infection and fly strike. Check around his vent, too, for puncture wounds, and under the wings.

Saline solution is good for irrigating wounds.

I filled in up a bath and once Donald is done in there my neighbors husband is going to help with checking the wounds and reapplying everything. I have had a puppy go though parvo and that was unpleasant to say the least but I think maggot searching is going to beat parvo on grosses thing. Poor Donald

Back
Top Bottom