My new Duckmahal

Horsefly

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Virginia
Here is my new duck house build 98% by myself! All the wood, hardware, and roofing is recycled except for a few 2x4s and 2x2s for the doors and frames and the wire. I am very happy with how it turned out and it is a big upgrade from what they had before. It is 5x8 and attached to the existing 4x5 structure, I haven't cut out the wire between them yet because I have some new ducks in the new one trying to get them used to the old ducks. I still need to thing of a way to rig up an external feeder and waterer so suggestions for that would be great. I have 3 pekins and 2 cayugas that will be using this house for now, they all freerange during the day.
This is the old structure, it was made 100% from pallets and just had chickenwire going around it. It has been in use for a year and I have had no losses in it but I will feel much better once all the ducks are in the new house.
46931_dscf2121.jpg

46931_dscf2120.jpg

Right side, there is a door on the far right and I am going to put some hay there and hope they pick this corner to lay their eggs so it is easy to get them out.
46931_dscf2353.jpg

Front, this is the main door in the middle here. I am thinking of making a wire box to set there waterer on and putting it by the door on the right.
46931_dscf2354.jpg

This shows it attached to the old house.
46931_dscf2355.jpg

This shows the back, it is recycled wood fence boards. The pond level is usually up to the grass, because of the drought it has gone down 2+ feet.
46931_dscf2356.jpg

I love the old wood look too. Originally I was going to paint it blue to match the old part but I loved the wood look so now I am just going to get a can of waterproofer and spray it with that.
Flchickens- they don't go up the ramp on the side, my baby goats love it though and will run up and down and jump off.

Back
Top Bottom