My Peahen has moved her eggs

Beth54

Hatching
Jan 21, 2018
South Australia, Australia
Hi everyone,

I am needing some help with my peafowl, I've had my pair of peafowl for four years now. The hen laid her first cluster of eggs (4 eggs) this time last year, they didn't hatch though. This year she has laid a cluster of 6 eggs, but today she started moving the eggs from where she has laid them. Is this normal for the hen to move her eggs to a different area in the pen?

Thanks Beth

Hi everyone,

I am needing some help with my peafowl, I've had my pair of peafowl for four years now. The hen laid her first cluster of eggs (4 eggs) this time last year, they didn't hatch though. This year she has laid a cluster of 6 eggs, but today she started moving the eggs from where she has laid them. Is this normal for the hen to move her eggs to a different area in the pen?

Thanks Beth
:welcome
How far did she move them? If her mate bullied her she might move) Do you have an incubator, or any other way to incubate eggs? If so, take some and do it yourself.
Here's a guide to candling peafowl eggs, which I suggest you take a look at (Candling can be very helpful)https://www.peacocksuk.com/peacock-information/how-to-candle-eggs/

thank you for the help. The hen has moved the eggs a couple of meters away from where she laid. I don't have an incubator, but she hasn't been sitting on them. She has just been laying every second day. I haven't seen her mate bullying her, but he is now playing soccer (so to speck) with the eggs. I have also been in a heatwave for the last six days with weather over 40 degrees celsius.

Peahens usually collect up to 6 eggs when they are ready to brood. They will gather all eggs in one safe place and begin siting on them. Has she began brooding yet? Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom