my pet chicken reviews

Pics
We ordered in April, consisting of one each of RIR, Partridge Cochin, Brown Leghorn, Buff Brahma Banty, and DL Barnevelder. All arrived clean and healthy in one day after hatch. The RIR ended up being a Roo. I called and they refunded me for him.

The second order (received in May) consisted of 2 silkies, 1 Mottled Cochin banty, 1 EE, and 1 SS. All were clean, but one silkie had curled feet. She could barely walk. I called MPC, right away someone answered the phone and refunded me for that chick. Off I went to the vet. She is fine after some extensive footwear, but walks and runs great.

That being said, the customer service was great! The web site is easy and the sexing is 90%! No other hatchery offers sexed silkies (that I know of) so if you want one, this is the place. So far, out of 10 chicks, one was a boy. The silkies are still a bit too young, but i'm thinking they're girls as well. I'd say that's pretty good odds. I would definitely order from them again.

Here's a picture of Tetley, our silkie that had the curled feet.

Last edited:
Here's my experience: i ordered chicks to arrive the week of Sept 8th. I ordered 26 chicks, all of which are supposed to be female.

They shipped a total of 29, and they are all healthy 3 week olds. Not bad since I live in So. Calif. and the temperature was over 100 the day they arrived.

I have not one complaint thus far. I don't know is any of them are roos, but either way, I'm very satisfied.

I do not show chickens, so I can't speak for the show quality, but man are they cute!

how is my pet chicken. i want to order from them. is the quality good

My chicks shipped yesterday & I'm happy to report all arrived here in Texas alive and ADORABLE! They started eating & drinking right away!

Last edited:
I think you have my chicks, I was eyeballing those, are they the blue Ameraucana, very adorable, I'm quite jealous, but I must wait until next spring.

I ordered for the first time from MPC. We ordered 10...our little Buckeye died two days after they arrived. The other 9 are now two weeks old and appear to be thriving and happy. We'll have to wait and see if we got all pullets or not. We got one GLW, 2 SLW, 3 Andelusian, one Australorp, 2 RIR...and our little Buckeye that passed away.
A picture of some of them.

I ordered 20 pullets last year. Due to the (in)efficiently of our Postal system, they ended up sitting in the loading area of the post office in Casper Wyoming overnight - when it was well below zero. We picked them up the next morning and it was -17 degrees. They had been 4 days in transit. We lost a few of them but not nearly as many as I dreaded finding. MPC was great about it, refunding my money even though it was not their fault. The remaining chicks grew up to be strong, healthy pullets and exactly the ones I ordered...and not a roo in the bunch! We went to a feed store and bought 4 chicks to replace the ones we lost, and kinda sorta bought two extras. Out of those 6, we ended up with 3 roos. This year I bought 15 chicks from a feed store, all supposedly pullets. Three of the 15 weren't the breed I was told they were, plus I got 4 roos. But I'd also ordered 8 Buff Brahma pullets from MPC. I got 8 strong, healthy Buff Brahma pullets. The entire system of mail order chicks might not be perfect, but I think my odds are better with MPC.

I really feel bad for the folks who have had negative experiences with MPC. By the sounds of it, some are well satisfied and some are not. But what really throws me is how the same company can have such mixed reactions to customers' issues. Seems to me that the one area that really needs help is in the consistency of MPC responses. No reason why one customer should say they were great and another with the same situation find them terribly unconcerned. That consistency would go a long way to everyone feeling that if they do have problems, they can go to customer service and expect the same courteous, compassionate service each and every phone call or email

Just my two cents' worth.

Back
Top Bottom