my pet chicken reviews

I would like to share my MPC experience. I have ordered from them several times over the years, and have been happy with them each time. They have a great website that lets you see clearly what is or isn't available and when they can be shipped. Some have commented on high shipping, and that I agree with, but will pay to get very small orders. I don't have much room, so I get only three or four chicks at a time and always pullets (can't have roos here!). The sexing has been 100% girls in my orders, no suprise boys to deal with. The only trouble I've had was on the last order, and that was totally the post office's fault. I had a mixed pullet order of four chicks, one was supposed to be a DL barnevelder, but MPC called me on hatch day (Monday) to let me know that the barnevelders didn't hatch out, and offered to send a substitution. They offered to sub a marans (which were a little more expensive) for the same price. I said okay, great! This is where things went downhill. Because of the order mix up and the back and forth missed calls between me and MPC on monday morning the chicks couldn't be sent until tuesday morning, still overnight delivery so I was expecting delivery 1st thing wed. morning. Okay, thats three days from hatch, but the chicks should be fine. Well, I don't know what void of nothingness those poor chicks fell into on the postal delivery route, but I didn't get them till fri morning. Let me tell you the waiting was nerve-wracking!!
barnie.gif
I was calling the post office every few hours and trying to follow delivery with a tracking number MPC gave me, but they were in limbo somewhere and no one could tell me anything. Then a 5am phone call fri morning from the p.o. saying I had a delivery. I couldn't get there fast enough, expecting the whole while that I was going to be picking up a box of dead chicks. To my suprise, when the p.o. employee handed me the box... there was cheeping noises coming from inside! After getting them home and opening the box I found six chicks (i ordered 4, remember). I was sent 2 marans, 2 EE (ordered 1), 1 australorp (right), and 1 sussex(again, right). I guess the 2 extras helped, cause only 1 chick was DOA (a marans), and then lost one more (an EE) the following day. I called MPC to share my harrowing experience, they were very sorry and consoling, they refunded me for two dead chicks and said they would look into it with the p.o. They also said the two extra chicks wasn't they're policy -they only ship what you order- but in the end I'm glad the 2 extras were in there. I ended up with 4 chicks, all girls and very healthy going on six months of age! What i learned from this was to note on my future orders what i would accept for a substitute, so the order can get filled and on the truck the day of hatch. And yes, I will order from MPC again! I didn't see this as they're fault. I appreciated they're great customer service. I do wish the p.o. would have been able to deliver when they should have, considering the steep shipping I paid! (and not one person at the p.o. appologized, btw!)

I know this is an old thread, but I found it very helpful! I just ordered 15 chicks from MPC and they are due to arrive the week of Feb 25. I have been worried about their "shipping" and it makes me less stressed about them getting here on time and healthy! thanks!

I ordered 24 Assorted Orpington Hatching eggs that were supposed to be delivered the week of Jan 28. I patiently (well okay, excitedly) waited and no eggs. That Thursday I got an email stating they are EXPECTED to ship the week of Feb 4th. Still no eggs. The email was very clear that this time of year it could take longer than expected, but almost 3 weeks after my ship date I still don't have any eggs. I understand that I have to be flexible cause well, chickens are chickens, but 3 weeks after my ship date and still no eggs is a bit long. I only wished they could have sent me more email updates if they still hadn't shipped, or atleast make a policy if they're more than 2 weeks late that I can cancel. I'm going to email them now to find out what's going on.

They showed up today at the Post Office. No email, but they did add a tracking # that was hard to notice on my account page. They put in a variety of Buff, Blue, Splash, and Lavender -labeled all of them. Great packaging, except laying on their sides -other eggs I've ordered were packed with big end up. I think they came from Gabbard Farms, because of the tracking info of where they were sent out. I've heard bad things about them, but we'll see. All the eggs look good, other than the 4 Lavender. They smell rotton and look like they already started incubating, because there are tiny dark embryos floating inside. Good thing there are only 4 of those. I'm going to let them sit in the garage til morning, then I'll incubate, and let everyone know how it turns out.

I have ordered twice from MPC and have been totally pleased with the experience. Their website is user friendly, they offer and excellent variety, their customer service was great both times and my chicks grew into lovely healthy hens who give me plenty of eggs. I ordered only pullets both times and received only pullets. I had one DOA in the last shipment and they refunded my money, which was my choice since I did not know when I would place another order. I would order from them again without hesitation.

Don't hesitate to buy live chicks from them, but don't ever buy the hatching eggs. All 13 Blue/Splash were true infertiles. The only eggs doing good are the Buff.

Definitely call the post office ahead of time and let them know you're expecting chicks in the mail and ask them to call you when they arrive. It is nerve-wracking, waiting for a package containing live animals, and such delicate creatures at that.

I am expecting to hear something about my chicks this week! The post office knows I am expecting them, so I hope it all goes well! :D Will let y'all know ;)

Definitely call the post office ahead of time and let them know you're expecting chicks in the mail and ask them to call you when they arrive. It is nerve-wracking, waiting for a package containing live animals, and such delicate creatures at that.
Yes, and not just with chickens. The worst problelm we encountered was with Betas. They were left on the front porch in the hot sun inspite of several calls to the post office and written instructions on the package to call for us to pickup. Poor fish.

My peeps are here! Yay! They all look really good so far. MPC did send one extra and I'm hoping it is not a roo, but they specified on the box that they added one extra hen, so hopefully it is :D

Back
Top Bottom