my pet chicken reviews

Pics
I just placed my order for spring chicks with MPC a couple of weeks ago for April 1st delivery. No more chicks delivered in February when it's 19 below zero for me. This is the second year I've ordered from them.

Thanks everyone for the advice and reviews
1f60a.png
I'm very excited for my chicks to get here. I will definitely be sharing my story once they arrive.

How was the quality of your coop? I just came across the coops on MPC. I did a google search on MPC reviews and found this particular thread. Really looking at one of their coops.

I won't ever buy from my pet chicken again, the chicks are the most fragile and sick birds Ive ever seen. I have been raising chickens most of my life and the first week we lost 8 chicks and when I called them,they tried to blame the chick starter for it even though I had other healthy chicks on it. I know we will never buy from them again . I believe they send chicks with poor health and little chance for a quality life . There selfish and care only for how much money they can make. A bad business to buy from and I would never recommend them to anyone ever.

We just ordered our first batch of 15 chicks from MPC and couldn't be more pleased. I used the website for the order at first, got confused about it so called two different times. The customer service was outstanding. At the end, the operator walked me through the order and pointed out that my order could be fulfilled that very day. She also complemented my choice of chickens as she raises them herself and gave me lots of advice on starting them out. I really appreciated all of this so much. The order was shipped that afternoon air express. That cost was really expensive ($43 to Florida) and they did not arrive overnight even though USPS tracking said they would so I was quite concerned. But the second morning I drove to the post office and picked them up, all 15 cute little fluff balls alive, hale and hearty. They are drinking, eating, sleeping and peeping under the heat lamp in a big box. They had placed a heat pack in the box under the straw for shipping and it was so helpful for them, still warm when I picked them up. Highly recommend this company.

Last edited:
I so far have had a good experience with MPC.  I live in the Seattle WA area and it took two days for my chicks to arrive.  They hatched on Monday and I went to pick them up Wednesday morning.  The post office was very friendly and even let me come in before they opened to get my babies.  They seem like they have the system down!  But back to MPC...I ordered from them because they are the only place that offers sexed bantams (that I could find), which I find odd since they drop ship as everyone says from Meyer.  Meyer only offers sexed standards...My chicks are still chicks so the jury is still out on if the sexing was correct.  I do know that I got all the breeds that I requested.  They all showed up bright eyed and peeping except one.  She was much more sleepy and not nearly as active but alive.  I had to give her some extra special attention and she perked up by the evening.  I know there are complaints about the shipping cost and it does make sense in some circumstances to order directly from Meyer.  However, the other thing I liked a lot about MPC was their website.  It was easy to maneuver, had a really nice online catalog of chicks, and lots of good information.  Also, I did get 4 standards and 2 bantams.  The 4 standards were mareks vaccinated.  

They can sex their bantams now??? I sure wish I had known that last spring. Does it say so on their website, or did you ask them?

Meyer operates out of a teensy village of a few hundred people in Ohio, MPC is headed by a former NYC marketing exec who lives in one of the priciest areas of the very pricey state of Connecticut.  (I would know, I lived just down the road.)  I would assume the chicks become MPC's stock once the payment clears for the order to be drop-shipped from Meyer Hatchery. 

Sorry if I seem to be beating a dead horse here, but I'm beating a dead horse. 

Wow, that's interesting! I still love the fact that I can order small quantities there. I have limited space, and they've been a Godsend for small farmers like me. Most of our property is taken over by horses, and we're on a highway, so we can't really free range without worrying about a chicken causing an accident. I think we got our first chicks about eight years ago, and they're still the sweetest of our flock! I've really had the best experiences with this company. When I ordered from one of the bigger hatcheries, (either Murray McMurray or Meyer, I can't remember) they sent a chick with splayed legs. It was heartbreaking, and it had to be put down. It was only my second year with chickens, and I thought I could save it. I didn't know then how merciless chicks could be to each other. I was devastated. Anyway, all of my orders from MPC have been great, and they've answered my calls when one in my very first shipment got pasty butt. I was panicked, and they told me exactly what to do. I'm sure things go wrong with shipping because once they're in the mail the chicks are out of their control, but they've been wonderful for my family. Maybe the NYC marketing exec is trying to get good people on in customer service? It sounds like some folks have had bad experiences with them, but I definitely can't complain.

I so far have had a good experience with MPC.  I live in the Seattle WA area and it took two days for my chicks to arrive.  They hatched on Monday and I went to pick them up Wednesday morning.  The post office was very friendly and even let me come in before they opened to get my babies.  They seem like they have the system down!  But back to MPC...I ordered from them because they are the only place that offers sexed bantams (that I could find), which I find odd since they drop ship as everyone says from Meyer.  Meyer only offers sexed standards...My chicks are still chicks so the jury is still out on if the sexing was correct.  I do know that I got all the breeds that I requested.  They all showed up bright eyed and peeping except one.  She was much more sleepy and not nearly as active but alive.  I had to give her some extra special attention and she perked up by the evening.  I know there are complaints about the shipping cost and it does make sense in some circumstances to order directly from Meyer.  However, the other thing I liked a lot about MPC was their website.  It was easy to maneuver, had a really nice online catalog of chicks, and lots of good information.  Also, I did get 4 standards and 2 bantams.  The 4 standards were mareks vaccinated.  

Also, did the sexing turn out to be correct on the bantams? I ended up with a Buff Orpington roo who was supposed to be a pullet. He was a HUGE chick, so I assumed it would be easier. It was pretty disappointing since we already have plenty of bantam roos. I ordered him with a friend's shipment from one of the big hatcheries. I can't remember which one. I'd love to hear how your situation turned out.

In answer to your first post: they do advertise on their website about sexing bantams but some people claim that is false advertising since it is said to be impossible and/or inhumane to sex bantam chicks. I don't know how they do it and I have had my suspicions because if they can do it, why wouldn't other hatcheries? I should also clarify that I actually got two silkie chickens so there is the argument that they are not technically bantams. However, they are treated the same as far as sexing...I couldn't find any other hatchery that offered them sexed. My order was: 1 buff orpington, 1 buff brahma, 1 australorp, 1 jersey giant, and 2 silkies. I got 6 out of 6 all female. 2 silkies is a really small sample size so I don't know if I simply got lucky or what. I think their sexing is pretty accurate all around though since I got all six female. I would be curious if other people ordered large quantities of bantams how the sexing would turn out. I haven't seen anyone on here that said one way or the other. I was very happy with My Pet Chicken and my chickens are all very healthy and friendly. The other thing to note about sexed bantams is that they do charge you a lot more money to have them sexed (I think it was like 8$ more each silkie). Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom