My polish hen has NEVER laid an egg for me!

theacw

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
MN
I got her when she was maybe 1 years old and I have had her for a year now! She has never, ever laid an egg for me. She does have some masculine features, such as spurs but doesnt crow at all. I think she was one of the top hens at a farm she was at and she is now either the middle or bottom of my 3 hens now.

She has just started squatting for me when I try to pick her up but before she was SUCH a spaz. But this past month she is just the sweetest thing. When I pull in the driveway, she comes running to me to pick her up.
celebrate.gif

Any ideas whats up with this goofy girl!?

I can take her off your hands. LOL Most of my chickens no longer lay due to age or like in your case, a secret reason. My bantam Old English game hen is same as your Polish hen. Have a second that laid some and just went on strike since. They are not old. You can see them in my pix. Some chickens just don't lay.
idunno.gif

PS. If I lived near you, I SERIOUSLY WOULD BE WILLING TO BUY THAT CHICKEN FROM YOU. The Polish that I had is no longer with me.
hit.gif

Haha I would never let you take her! I am so crazy about how awesome she is.... which is why I am so glad she has tamed down. I got her free from a sweet girl in town when I got down to just my one little hen and needed to get her some friends FAST. Finding a polish and a gorgeous white EE quick is quite impressive, dont ya think? :D

I have them more as pets than for eggs so it doesnt bother me, I was just more curious since she was relatively young when I got her but its been long enough for her to be settled in at my place. Oh well, guess she is less likely to suffer from reproductive issues?

Sorry you lost your polish :(

Last edited:
Haha I would never let you take her! I am so crazy about how awesome she is.... which is why I am so glad she has tamed down.

I have them more as pets than for eggs so it doesnt bother me, I was just more curious since she was relatively young when I got her but its been long enough for her to be settled in at my place. Oh well, guess she is less likely to suffer from reproductive issues?

Sorry you lost your polish :(
I keep my girls for pets only, I don't mind that they don't lay eggs. Only 2 RIR that are 1 year old lay. The rest are on strike. My oldest is 9 years this Easter. and coincidently a Easter Egger. LOL. The last chick I lost was 13 years young.
hit.gif
Silver seabrite Her name was Nugget. My Polish was also very tame. In about 2 weeks I will be going to the chicken swap meet. I am looking for a Polish, and a Silkie. Hens only.

I keep my girls for pets only, I don't mind that they don't lay eggs. Only 2 RIR that are 1 year old lay. The rest are on strike. My oldest is 9 years this Easter. and coincidently a Easter Egger. LOL. The last chick I lost was 13 years young.
hit.gif
Silver seabrite Her name was Nugget. My Polish was also very tame. In about 2 weeks I will be going to the chicken swap meet. I am looking for a Polish, and a Silkie. Hens only.

Awww I love it! I love hearing about pet chickens that are around for a long time. My oldest and first hen is 5 years old and I thought she was getting up there! She is so pokey and "arthritis like" that I thought she was getting old.... I guess not! I hope mine last as long as yours! How many do you have?

I had a silkie for a few months and she was so sweet but she just never really thrived and died by age 2. My favorite hen I have had was a bantam cochin who just a doll and so much personality. She died of a weird tumor who was part of the same family as my silkie. Is there inbreeding issues with chickens too? They both just had goofy stuff going on, it was always in the back of my head. Sweet but just a bunch of nuts. haha!

Currently I have 7 chickens. The 2 RIR , 1 EE. and the rest are bantams. 2 Old english game hen 1 Japanese bantam and 1 Cochin-serama that no longer has any toes. They all broke off due to maybe osteoporosis . I call her Cotton. after Hank Hills dad, In KING OF THE HILL CARTOON. I keep all my chickens till they go to the other side naturally. Of course I don't eat them. Some of my girls died to predators. I bury all of my pets. Then I usually play a melody on my flute. In solitude of course.

This is the one that never layed any eggs. Her name is Shannon. I call her my Paris Runway Model. She has exceptionally longer legs. Unlike her partner in crime Limey.

Limey

Back
Top Bottom