My Rabbit Journey~New Pics pg 17

Good point...but the rabbits won't be chewing on the 2x4's that are under the wire. No, I wouldn't want to eat a bunny that's been eating that paint. However for general exposure of the paint, it is very safe. Its used in dog kennels frequently. Besides its just an experiement at this point. Do you have a recommended material besides wood to put under the wire for support? I have also heard of people using Rebar.
smile.png
thanks

Oh, yes, some will chew on those 2x4s that are directly under the wire.

Rebar is all I can think of for support too. My bigger metal cages have wire bars that look like thick welding wire for supports.

Last edited:
We also feed our dogs, a mixed rottie and a GSD raw and have been talking/thinking about rabbits. It is good to see your post, and I'm VERY sorry to hear about the loss of your dog.
hugs.gif

If you used all metal cages you could hang them from a PVC frame or they have metal frames at home depot....I can't remember what they are called though. What I did was hang all metal cages in my barn so they have no access to wood.

I can't get too far in to the rabbits, but if I could do more then I would definately come up with another type of houseing system. But for now this is it. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
smile.png

Thanks for your setup pics. Helps us visual learners.
smile.png

I was at a local feed&seed store yesterday. They had rabbit cages and feeders, etc. there that I was scoping out.
All the cages were 24"x24" square. A 24"x36" is preferable for raising the medium-size, meat breeds, right?

I see Jamie used 1/2" hardware cloth on the bottom of her hutch. Is that big enough holes for all the waste to pass through?

As for chewing on wood... do rabbits chew on the plywood walls? Or only on corners that jut out like the framing 2"x4"s in Jamie's hutch?

Cheers!

Yes, 24x36 or 30x30 are preferable. I also prefer actual 1"x1/2" cage wire for the bottoms, the wire thicker and better for their feet than hardware cloth, but their droppings will pass through the 1/2"x1/2" too.

Some rabbits will chew on anything that they can get a hold on with their teeth.

I've made my own cages based on the cages from quality cages, KW cages, Bass, and the other bigger manufacturers. You need the heavier cage wire, good wire clippers, some sort of latch, j-clips and j-clip plyers. I've finally hit a point where I just have started to buy my cages. Some I've bought used, and others new. There is a resale market for good cages. (I've sold some too) There are different methods to drain waste without a tray, but I use trays with my cages since they are inside. In the past I've done a tractor type system where there was a raised wire floor in the cage, but no tray, and I moved it around the lawn with a shelter over it. Hard if you have a lot, but it can be done with a small herd. I mostly have guinea pigs, who are just as much of chewers, and need to be in a tray since the wire will hurt their feet.

Many larger scale breeders won't post photos of their setups online, because of threats from followers of the groups we don't discuss here, but you can get an idea from looking at some of the cage makers sites.

Last edited:
The larger poop of my NZ has a hard time passing through the .5" hardware cloth, so I am considering just replacing it with the larger and heavier variety that CM is talking about. Most of the poo passes through but some is stuck and I have to go out and push it through with a small board. Kind of pain in the keister.
roll.png

My tray system that we are building will be with Rubbermaid trays, when I've had rabbits before I didn't like the metal varieties. The plastic trays will be easier to carry too. I'll post pics when we get them installed. Which at the rate I am going could be a few weeks from now.

Update: I set up an exercise run today in my yard, partially under my porch. All three of my rabbits enjoyed getting out for a couple hours and stretching their legs, digging, eating live grass and weeds. They seemed to really enjoy it and my daughter had a lot of fun watching them spaz out and run laps LOL. I have to admit it was really fun to watch.
smile.png

I noticed some yellowish "stuff" inside my d'Argent's ear and looked closely to see some grey, flaking, scales. Turns out she and my NZx have ear mites. I looked up treatments and decided on Ivomectin paste, I've already treated all three of them. I have not seen any of them scratching or shaking their heads, and if I had not happened to notice the ear, I might have never known.

Back
Top Bottom