My Rabbit Journey~New Pics pg 17

Quote:
I put one 12"x12" heavy ceramic tile in each of my hutches as a rest from the wire flooring in the cage. They are chew-proof, heavy, and cool for a hot day! In a pinch if it gets too hot they can be frozen and a towel put over them for a nice cool resting spot too. Edit to add: they are a snap to clean if they end up making a mess on the tile (which they rarely do because I have the tiles just on the inside of the doors and not in a corner. This discourages them from using it as a potty spot.)

Last edited:
Quote:
I put one 12"x12" heavy ceramic tile in each of my hutches as a rest from the wire flooring in the cage. They are chew-proof, heavy, and cool for a hot day! In a pinch if it gets too hot they can be frozen and a towel put over them for a nice cool resting spot too. Edit to add: they are a snap to clean if they end up making a mess on the tile (which they rarely do because I have the tiles just on the inside of the doors and not in a corner. This discourages them from using it as a potty spot.)

Heh, I learn something new everyday! I don't know why no one I know, or myself has thought of a ceramic tile. They're cheap (about 1-2 dollars a hardware store) and would give off excellent cooling in the summer!

Thanks Jaimie for giving an old hat a great new idea
smile.png
I'm going to start picking up extras!

Quote:
No problem at all. I am fairly new at rabbit raising, I have done it in the past when I was a teen, but we never ate ours (but had inteded to). I picked up the tile trick from somewhere but I cannot remember where from. I know its something I have been keeping in my mind for a while...who knows. LOL I wish i could take full credit for it though
tongue.png

Quote:
Great idea! And easy to clean.

I tried to palpate my two does this past weekend. While they don't really like to be picked up... once I got them on the table, they were as willing as I could have hoped. One is 2 weeks along and one is 3 weeks along (give or take a few days... bred by the previous owner for me). I was unable to find any definitive "marbles" in the lower abdominal area. I'm sure it was just me not knowing what I'm feeling for. So I tried putting each of them (in turn) back in with my buck. Neither of them would have anything to do with the buck... playing keep-away and growling... so I'm still holding out hope they are pregnant.

I think my buns have put on a little weight since their time with me (2 weeks). Previous owner told me he free fed them. Always kept pellets available and get them hay. I was surprised at how little pellets they actually eat. I don't keep much in their feeders... and have never seen a feeder emptied. But boy do they go threw the hay. I thought hay was mostly empty calories good for digestion and teeth maintenance... but I think they are plumping. My buck too... although he doesn't seem to eat much hay.

How's the rubbing the hand over their back weight gauge work? Barely feel the spine/vertebrae bumps=ideal... Can't feel the spine/vertebrae bumps=overweight?

Cheers!

What a great thread. We got 3 pedigree New Zealands, 04/02/11. They are about 5 months old now, so we won't be breeding them yet. I'll try to get some pics up.
Love the idea of the ceramic tiles. The breeder we got them from suggested we use plastic mats, but I haven't been able to locate any in town.

Last edited:
The plastic mats are at TSC - or you can order from one of the companies I listed links to in the previous pages.

Palpating takes practice. Certainly sounds like your does are bred the way they ran around grunting!

Quote:
I'll have to to check again. The last couple times I was at TSC, they didn't have any. Do the rabbits chew on them?

Our buck is more active than the does. He'll toss his ceramic feeding bowl around, so we have to secure it. We have some "toys" in there for them.....golf balls, empty vitamin bottles, and some pieces of wood (which they do gnaw on).

They will more than likely gnaw on the mats. Honestly, I'm so in love with the tile idea you should just go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a cheapy 12x12 sample tile!

Quote:
It's a great idea. I think we'll give that a try. Do you think 12x12 is large enough?

I also have a question about feeding my NZs. I've been feeding them about 1/2 cup of feed per day. The buck was born Thanksgiving week 2010 and the 2 does on Christmas Day 2010, so that makes them around 5 months old. Is there a feeding guide online anywhere.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom