My Rabbit Journey~New Pics pg 17

Quote:
Squirrels taste like chickens
droolin.gif

Let's try and keep this on topic please, thanks
smile.png

On topic--I am still considering culling my huge, skinny NZ doe. Yesterday she got really aggressive with me and also with my young buck, who she always got along with before. If she continues down this path I will eat her.

Last edited:
Didn't look at all 8 pages here but rabbits got my interest - have them too. (Giant Chinchillas here). I'd had some Rex does get hormonal after kindling, but not maliciously. If skinny has she been treated for coccidia? If you're making meat of her obviously no but I find even up off the ground treating when rough looking can make a difference (and save rabbits).

No, I have not treated for Coccidia. I will have to go google the symptoms. Thanks
smile.png

ETA: I just googled this and read several sites that list symptoms of both the liver and intestinal for of this disease. They list: weight loss, lethargy, soft or runny stool, pot belly, low or no appetite. This doe has none of these symptoms. She's been skinny since I bought her and is now gaining weight..slowly. She eats everything I give her a day which includes: BOSS, Calf Manna, 1 cup of 18% pellets and hay. I also give greens such as parsley, cilantro, or dandilions several times a week. Her poo is very firm and normal, she drinks really well and is very active.

Last edited:
do you have a way to free choice hay? Have you run a fecal to see if she needs dewormed? I might even try free choice pellets. I normally measure feed mine but if something is thin I try to weed out possibilities (parasites etc) then pour the feed to them. Sounds like you have a good feed ration set up so that shouldn't be a problem.

Just sounds like she is pre-disposed to having poor condition. Some rabbits just don't hold weight. I would suggest culling her. you won't want her offspring, that's for sure.

Free choice hay (NOT ALFALFA, though I suppose since you're going to slaughter the high calcium doesn't matter) should be available. But your rabbits sound spoiled with all the greens. The last thin you can check is around the anus for pin worms, but I doubt that would make her lose so much condition. She'd have to have a trillion of them, lol.

I'll take some pics of her and post them so you can see what I am saying. Now...the thing is, someone who can't look past the coat will see a good fleshed rabbit. But those who are used to judging condition and structure through coat will see how skinny she is.

Back
Top Bottom