My Rabbit Journey~New Pics pg 17

and another pic:

100_0536.jpg

Yep, she's just lacking that "commercial type" overall.

She's really narrow in the midsection (behind the shoulders/ribs area) and she doesn't have a nice loin or topline. She looks really rangy as opposed to a solid commercial type. The thing that you did and not sure if you meant to was how straight and parallel her back feet are. That is actually helpful in that pic. It means she's in a natural stance and easy to evaluate. She also looks a little potty around the shoulders (flabby).

She's also really wide in the hips. Which isn't bad but it's really accentuated in the above view pic. You want that to be well filled.

You can see in this picture the desired commercial type of a NZ. See how well filled and wide the shoulders are and how it's a gradual rise from the shoulders through the midsection to the loin of the rabbit? It's solid and well filled and in good flesh.

p245.jpg

I hope you don't think I'm knocking your rabbit. Just offering up what I see.

LOL! No, not at all!
lol.png
She's a bun I got from a breeder here in my area. I also got a Champagne from him, who is of much better condition and type. She's round, firm, and wide. She's about 7 months old now and I just bred her, not sure if she took though.

As far as this doe goes, I was told she might be 1/4 flemish but after talking to some other's about her, they told me she probably wasn't. So I let that idea go. Oh well. Do you think I should keep her and breed her to a good solid buck or just cull?

ETA: Thanks for taking the time to comment and give advice!! Much appreaciated
wink.png

Last edited:
Well she very well could be 1/4 flemish. that would explain the rangy and lack of commercial type. Flemish are like the buff brahmas of the rabbit world. They take FOREVER to reach max weight, they have massive bone. And if you want a meat rabbit you're better off looking elsewhere.

They also have what is known as a mandolin type. The dip at the shoulders and gently swoop up over the hindquarters. Here's the deal - If you want to breed her go ahead. You might get something better out her to at least replace her. You won't lose anything except the cost of feed. From my standpoint as a shower/registrar of rabbits I'd cull her. From a food perspective I'd still be leery on it simply because her condition and meat producing capablities seem crappy. BUT - if she produces one offspring for you that it better than herself that you can replace her with it's worth the breeding.

Also, be prepared for some weird colors when you cross in your champagne to a NZ. They could be any color under the rew
smile.png
And champs are born jet black the ticking comes in later hehehe.

That's a nice looking Champagne doe you got. (You're NZ doe doesn't look very beefy... but you know that
smile.png
)

After seeing your Champagne doe picture... I'm pretty sure that's the cross in my buns. The PO told me they American Chinchilla and Creme D'Argent crosses... but I think he mistook Creme for Champagne. Mine have that darker snout and silvering color to them. Very cool.

I welcomed my first bun litter today!
bun.gif
celebrate.gif

And boy did I almost mess it up big time!

The PO told me what he thought was the date he mated the doe... but his memory was off by a number of days. So I was expecting a doe to kindle this weekend.

To make matters worse, my 2 does are sisters and very similar looking... and I got them mixed up when I brought them home... so I didn't know which one was due first! Haha!
lol.png

So I made two nest boxes and was just going to give one to each. They were mated a week apart... so one was due this weekend (I thought) and the other a week later. But I didn't have enough wire for the nest box bottoms... so I had to wait a few days to get to the store. Got the wire yesterday and finished the boxes last evening. Gave one to each with some hay in them and immediately my one doe (not the one I thought was due first) was all up in it and squealing and pulling a ton of fur. It was a very interesting sight... for a first timer like me.

Thankfully, my does are experienced and have kindled a number of litters previously... so she knew what to do... even if I did not! haha.
This morning I checked her nest box and sure enough... a wiggling pile of fur. I gave her a carrot and pulled the box out and parted the fur and counted 8 wigglers. Very cool!

In hind sight. That doe has been oddly taking mouthfuls of hay and going into the corner of the cage and pawing it... been doing this for the past week. I dumbly thought that was just how she liked to eat it. But now can see how this was her nesting instinct kicking in. And I didn't get her a nest box until the evening of the kindle. Close one.

Just this morning, my 2nd doe greeted me at the cage door with a mouthful of hay. Haha! I think she's trying to tell me something!
lol.png

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom