My Rabbit Journey~New Pics pg 17

I would put in a layer of wood shavings in the bottom of that box or the kits will soon chill really fast and then expire from their urine that will saturate that bare bottomed nest box.

thanks Bossroo, thats actually not their nest box. Thats the box I used to count them while I also cleaned the afterbirth and saturated hay in the regular nest box.
smile.png

Quote:
It's not so bad. I feed a Doberman, papillon and chihuahua. It's not really any more than when I was feeding expensive, grain-free dog food.
We're planning on moving to OK in a couple of years. Once we have some land, I'm going to try to raise all our meet. I'll probably do a lot of unusual poultry for the dogs-geese, gunieas,ducks and quail plus sheep and cattle. I won't do pigs and probably not rabbits, either. Just don't think I can butcher them, although I'll probably buy FHA or 4-H pigs, when we live in the country, which is what I used to do.
I'll also start hunting again. I'd love to fill up the dog freezer with venison and elk. I can hunt on the Army base in OK and they have a big elk herd.
Anyway, the little dog without teeth should do fine, just smash the bones a little with a meat pounder and cut the meat in ribbons away from the bone with scissors to help him get started. He'll love it and it will help his other teeth stay healthy. Sorry about your GSD. I hate the idea of my chihuahua getting old and my Doberman is only 4 but she has the gene for heart disease and her mother is having irregular heart beats at 6 1/2.

Last edited:
Quote:
It's not so bad. I feed a Doberman, papillon and chihuahua. It's not really any more than when I was feeding expensive, grain-free dog food.
We're planning on moving to OK in a couple of years. Once we have some land, I'm going to try to raise all our meet. I'll probably do a lot of unusual poultry for the dogs-geese, gunieas,ducks and quail plus sheep and cattle. I won't do pigs and probably not rabbits, either. Just don't think I can butcher them, although I'll probably buy FHA or 4-H pigs, when we live in the country, which is what I used to do.
I'll also start hunting again. I'd love to fill up the dog freezer with venison and elk. I can hunt on the Army base in OK and they have a big elk herd.
Anyway, the little dog without teeth should do fine, just smash the bones a little with a meat pounder and cut the meat in ribbons away from the bone with scissors to help him get started. He'll love it and it will help his other teeth stay healthy. Sorry about your GSD. I hate the idea of my chihuahua getting old and my Doberman is only 4 but she has the gene for heart disease and her mother is having irregular heart beats at 6 1/2.

Make sure you know what the 4-H/FFA animals were fed. A lot of them (around here) are fed feeds that have antibiotics and are given a supplament that makes them fill out better but if not fed properly makes the meet look/taste off. I don't remember what it is called but someone on here may know or I can ask the 4-H "pig guy" when I see him. There are only 2 families here that I would buy from. 4-H used to be to teach kids about raising/taking care of the animals but now it's all about winning. The last few years the Grand Champion steers have all been bought from a big breeder for over $3000 and sold at the fair for $3500- $4000. To me that just teaches the kids that the ribbon is the most important thing. Not learning how to properly feed and manage your livestock.

Quote:

Make sure you know what the 4-H/FFA animals were fed. A lot of them (around here) are fed feeds that have antibiotics and are given a supplament that makes them fill out better but if not fed properly makes the meet look/taste off. I don't remember what it is called but someone on here may know or I can ask the 4-H "pig guy" when I see him. There are only 2 families here that I would buy from. 4-H used to be to teach kids about raising/taking care of the animals but now it's all about winning. The last few years the Grand Champion steers have all been bought from a big breeder for over $3000 and sold at the fair for $3500- $4000. To me that just teaches the kids that the ribbon is the most important thing. Not learning how to properly feed and manage your livestock.

Thanks for the advice. It will be about two years before I'll be able to do this. I don't have room in the house for a freezer but we're planning on moving and buying acreage in OK in two years, when my husband finishes his PhD.
I did buy a couple of sgow pigs about ten years ago, and a steer. I remember not being happy with the steer and one of the pigs. Very fatty and not the best tasting meat.
I really liked my longhorn beef the best. I used to buy longhorns from the Wichita Mountain Refuge and boy did that pasture fed meat taste good.
I agree about the antibiotics. I don't even feed amprollium to my chicks. I will have to consider either raising my own or finding someone that doesn't use them. Just don't know if I could kill a pig, theyre so smart.
And lambs are just too cute. I raised them for awhile but never did bring myself to butcher any. I may try it again with the intentions of raising them for meat, before I just did it to change my property taxes. Lambs have got to be the cutest babies on the planet!

I am glad to see a rabbit thread, as I have just started with them as well.

I have them in stackable 24x36 cages, but still found the smell pretty bad even with daily picking. I wanted the poop for my garden but not the pee so I potty trained them and made a two tier rubbermaid system. The pee goes through and the poop goes into my worm composting bin! I have been really happy with it.

I am going to try breeding them for the first time next week. wish me luck!!
big_smile.png

Hey LuLu! Welcome to BYC. Do you have photos of your setup? I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm curious to see your rubbermaid waste method.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom