Jester57

Songster
Nov 13, 2021
Let me start off by saying I am far from an expert; I've been keeping chickens for about a year and a half. I've been a reading BackYard Chickens during almost all of that time. I've learned a few things along the way, mostly enough to be dangerous.

But it's that learning curve that I really need to speak about. It's come up before, and I just dismissed it as being opinions; but I'm hatching eggs for the 1st time and the variability of advice is absolutely insane. For an example: Humidity should be maintained between 45-50% according to an expert, except another expert says 60% is what you're shooting for and yet another says between 50-60%. I've seen recommended temps at either 99.5 or 100.5 or maintained between 97 and 101. I mean everyone agrees we're hatching eggs, but that's about it.

And, while I'm on the subject of variability of advice: Virtually every farm and home store around here sold out of their 1st shipment of chicks within hours. Employees I talked to said they've never seen them run out so fast. We hypothesized that this was in direct reaction to the egg prices during this past year. Now, I live in Kansas City, and these stores are located in more or less in suburban areas, so I have to believe that the uptick in sales was caused by nervous surburbanites discovering their inner survivalist. In other words, a bunch of first timers.

And if they come to this site, listen to hatchery owners, feed companies, etc., they are going to get diametrically opposed advice on how to brood those newly-acquired chicks. Indoors, outdoors, heat lamps, brooding plates, mama heating pad brooders etc., are all discussed, but I rarely see them compared and contrasted fairly. If someone likes one approach over another, the other alternatives are immediately dismissed.

In my brief time as a chicken parent, I have used every alternative I mentioned above, and have been blessed with healthy chickens. To be completely transparent, I've only used the heat lamp as a supplemental heatsource in very cold weather when the chicks were outside. I've since discovered that the chicks don't need additional heatsources. I've also read hatchery websites that say to never use heating pads or plates; stick with the classic heat lamp. My 1st batch of chicks were indoor until 6 weeks or so then raised on an enclosed, unheated porch with a brooding plate and the occasional heat lamp on very cold nights. All subsequent batches were raised outside from day 1 with a mama heating pad. They all grew up healthy. The major differences are the chicks raised outside seem sturdier than my 1st batch, but, since I couldn't interact with them as much as the batch raised indoors, they're a lot less friendly.

My point is that deciding how you're going to raise your chickens depends on the outcome you want. There are certain basic parameters that must be met, but after those needs are taken care of, then it's up to what you want and can afford. Also, remember you may not get exactly what you want. Chickens are very much individuals.

Rant over, feel better now. Peace.

tenor.gif

Darned good rant. There sure are lots of opinions out there on how to raise your chickens. And I can see in the near future a lot of chicken rescues for animal control when people find out just how expensive it is to raise chickens, keep them healthy, and protect them from predators. I went to TSC yesterday to pick up iodine for my horse's hooves when chicks had just arrived and were being placed in the metal bins. There were people waiting in line to get those little peeps. Someone said something and something was said back and things got a bit dicey. Someone called the police. And I'm like I'm just buying iodine, let me out of here!

First thing when you hear "EXPERT" run fast and far. With all the experts in various jobs and positions why is everything such a mess? My wife and I both learned from grandparents. From brooding to butchering. Even so when we come across something that makes sense or is worth a shot we try it. After a year and a half you have a pretty good idea what your looking for from you birds, what real goals your aiming for and works for you. It's the old "garbage in garbage out". Spend your time fretting about decisions and you'll drive yourself bananas. Keep in mind people share their experience and what works for them. Here is a lesson I learned myself. Seems a lot of people use pine shavings in their brooding so I tried for the first time. No more. The chicks kick from here to hell and gone, Next time tell us how you really feel.:)

Opinions- you know what they say about them. Everyone has one. Experts: Seems like todays world is filled with want to be experts.
Keep up the good work. It sounds like you read, listen and use common sense.
Sometimes rants are needed. In this case, your rant will also serve as information that others will use.

Well ranted! I've relied on BYC for chicken advice and support for three years. Over time, I've learned who really knows their stuff. (Looking at you, @aart !)

I also purchased a book on raising chickens. I won't say which one because there are several tried and true books that have stood the test of time. It's my default guide.

Treat your flock humanely, do your best and don't beat yourself up over mistakes--which will happen. Enjoy the adventure! :)

First thing when you hear "EXPERT" run fast and far. With all the experts in various jobs and positions why is everything such a mess? My wife and I both learned from grandparents. From brooding to butchering. Even so when we come across something that makes sense or is worth a shot we try it. After a year and a half you have a pretty good idea what your looking for from you birds, what real goals your aiming for and works for you. It's the old "garbage in garbage out". Spend your time fretting about decisions and you'll drive yourself bananas. Keep in mind people share their experience and what works for them. Here is a lesson I learned myself. Seems a lot of people use pine shavings in their brooding so I tried for the first time. No more. The chicks kick from here to hell and gone, Next time tell us how you really feel.
First thing when you hear "EXPERT" run fast and far. With all the experts in various jobs and positions why is everything such a mess? My wife and I both learned from grandparents. From brooding to butchering. Even so when we come across something that makes sense or is worth a shot we try it. After a year and a half you have a pretty good idea what your looking for from you birds, what real goals your aiming for and works for you. It's the old "garbage in garbage out". Spend your time fretting about decisions and you'll drive yourself bananas. Keep in mind people share their experience and what works for them. Here is a lesson I learned myself. Seems a lot of people use pine shavings in their brooding so I tried for the first time. No more. The chicks kick from here to hell and gone, Next time tell us how you really feel.:)
I’m going to be getting chicks for the first time very soon. Curious as to what you use instead of pine shavings for the brooder flooring material. I’ve heard paper towels for the first week or so and then mostly pine shavings. Is there something that works better for you? Thanks!

We use what we call dog hair which is wood straw about the same as spaghetti. We get it from a local saw mill. The guy won't take any money. So we always bring coffee and shoot the breeze for a while. It may be had at garden centers, I don't know. When we picked up our chicks they used the same thing. Florist might be another option.

Back
Top Bottom