Chick brooder ideas?

CrazyForMyPeeps802

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Feb 24, 2024
Vermont
Hey everyone! I'm looking for ideas for an easy indoor chick brooder. It's been a few years sense I've done an indoor brood and the last time I did I used a large rabbit cage but it was so messy.

I'm looking for ideas that will hold say 20 bantams and 12 large fowl chicks. So roughly 30 to 34 chicks for about 3 to 4 week's.

I'm planning on using a heat lamp as the heat source.

Thanks in advance for the ideas!😊

I use a 50 gal plastic tote but never brood more than 7 chicks at a time.

Ive seen a lot of people use Metal Stock Tanks.
I've used a metal stock tank before for my ducklings and it worked well. Maybe I'll end up using one again for these chicks! I just wanted some other ideas and to see what others use!

The plastic tote is a great idea for smaller batches I'll definitely keep that mind!😊

Ive been looking for ways fro bigger batches and the stock tank was the best idea.
I thought abour building a wood box and putting laminate floors in it so it would be easy to clean as well.

Ive been looking for ways fro bigger batches and the stock tank was the best idea.
I thought abour building a wood box and putting laminate floors in it so it would be easy to clean as well.
Yeah I'll probably end up using a stock tank but wanted to see if there were any other options!

The wood box is another great idea! Laminate flooring would definitely make it easy to clean as well. I'll consider that as another option.

Thank you😊

Yeah I'll probably end up using a stock tank but wanted to see if there were any other options!

The wood box is another great idea! Laminate flooring would definitely make it easy to clean as well. I'll consider that as another option.

Thank you😊
I put laminate flooring in my coops under the bedding its much easier to clean

Half of a dog crate, place chicken wire on top, cut a hole on top where heat lamp leans in.

Put puppy pee pads or wood shavings on floor, water source, food source.

It’s good for when you don’t have chicks year round, especially in cold months.

Half of a dog crate, place chicken wire on top, cut a hole on top where heat lamp leans in.

Put puppy pee pads or wood shavings on floor, water source, food source.

It’s good for when you don’t have chicks year round, especially in cold months.
That's not a bad idea! I've done something similar outdoors. I was also thinking a pack n play might work but I'm unsure on if it would be big enough🤔

Back
Top Bottom