Raising Chicks in Outdoor Brooder

asmiles1

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2023
Hey yall!
I had an outdoor brooder built and will have chicks going in there right after Christmas. I live in GA so the lows do not get super low but they definitely get low at night. I was wondering how to make sure that the heating element is right for them if anyone else has done this. We have 2 plates and a lamp but we want to refrain from using the lamp if at all possible. Will the plates be enough for them?

Note:
We are expecting 4-6 chicks. Their brooder IS weather proof and made of wood.

TIA!

What are your projected lows for late December and January?

Do your plates come with instructions specifying a minimum temperature requirement? Some brands will only operate efficiently at 50F and above. If that's the case then you will need to use the lamp to warm up the ambient temperature to meet that minimum.

What are your projected lows for late December and January?

Do your plates come with instructions specifying a minimum temperature requirement? Some brands will only operate efficiently at 50F and above. If that's the case then you will need to use the lamp to warm up the ambient temperature to meet that minimum.
projected lows in the 30’s. Not every day, but most. I do see that it has to be 50f and above. Could I put a dimmable normal heating lamp in there to keep the ambient temp at 50+? I found? I am just worried about a fire! The brooder box is made completely of wood so I’m hoping it will stay pretty warm

projected lows in the 30’s. Not every day, but most. I do see that it has to be 50f and above. Could I put a dimmable normal heating lamp in there to keep the ambient temp at 50+? I found? I am just worried about a fire! The brooder box is made completely of wood so I’m hoping it will stay pretty warm
You'd have to test the dimmable lamp to see how well it works in keeping the temperature consistently 50F+

Other alternative is making a mama heating pad, if you have a heating pad without auto shutoff, as those will work below 50. I think we've had members use them down in the 20s, I myself have used them down in the 40s.

Back
Top Bottom