My rights as a chicken owner

chicklove93

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 17, 2011
NEPA
Yesterday a collared dog came on my property and got into my coop. I am devestated that it got 2 of my Javas. The dog even had the nerve to growl at me! We are not sure where it came from. Planning on looking into that today. I asked around and gotten quite a few different answers. If that dog comes back am I allowed to shoot it? Or does it depend where you live etc... please someone point me in the right direction. ---- also i reenforce my coop but does anyone recommend a deterant for dogs? Thanks

yes, it depends on your area, but most states do allow you to shoot a dog that is ATTACKING livestock. That means that you have to wait until the dog is physically going for your birds. Other states allow you to shoot if the dog is harassing your birds, completely depends on your area.
What state are you in? PA, for example, lets you shoot if the dog is attacking. If the dog is just caught in the coop/run, all you can do is confine or chain the dog and call animal control or the police to come and get the dog. From the looks of it, in PA you aren't entitled to compensation if the birds are free-ranging?
-------
reimbursement for damage to a domestic animal by a dog, whether or not the domestic animal is directly damaged by the dog or is necessarily destroyed due to damage caused by the dog, if all of the following apply:
1. The damage occurs when the domestic animal is confined in a field or other enclosure adequate for confinement of such animal. (See footnote 3 for case that describes enclosure requirement).
2. The damage was not caused by a dog owner or harbored by the owner of such damaged domestic animal.
3. The owner of the offending dog is unknown

ETA: if many states, you have to actually catch the dog in the act of attacking, you can't do it if you come and find dead birds in your yard.

just do a search for "dog attack livestock <your state>" you can also get advice from your local animal control and police department.
Also, be sure that it is legal for you to discharge a firearm on your property. I know that many people here have chickens in urban areas where shooting might be illegal

Last edited:
I have no idea where NEPA is. You may live in an area where it is illegal to discharge a firearm. I don't know.

Some local laws are weird, but you have the right to protect your property on your property practically everywhere. I've shot dogs here that killed my chickens. I've captured dogs and taken them to the pound.

You can handle it the way you want to, depending some on where you are. If you can capture the dog and check the collar, you might be able to contact the owner and maybe get some compensation for the dead chickens. That would be my preferred approach. But don't get yourself hurt doing it. It did growl at you.

You can try animal control, but many places that won't be any help. It is probably something you need to handle yourself.

I've been there. It is never pleasant for me to shoot a dog, even after it has killed my chickens. But I do what I have to do.

The only dog repellent I know of that actually works is a fence they can't get through. Electrical is great as long as you have a reliable source of electricity.

I live in Montrose, PA. The dog was eating my chicken when I yelled at
it to stop. It then growled at me and I ran back in the house as I was
scared. I will call my local dog catcher.

What makes me so mad is people having to even ASK if they can shoot a dangerous animal. Used to there was no question. I hope you get this situation sorted out shortly.
hugs.gif

What makes me so mad is people having to even ASK if they can shoot a dangerous animal. Used to there was no question. I hope you get this situation sorted out shortly. :hugs

Hopefully you won't get mad at me. I occasionally visit Crossville and I would not want to be within range. :oops:

When you agree to enjoy the benefits of living in civilization, you agree to be bound by certain rules of behavior. I consider myself fairly civilized but I also choose to not live inside city limits. And I know what the laws are where I live.

Around here a dog in a chicken coop might as well paint a target on it's head. x2 if it growls at you. Owners are responsible for keeping their dogs on their property. Any dog not on the owners property is fair game. I'm not saying to kill your neighbors pug for pooping on your lawn but if it's killing your animals you have the right to protect them with deadly force. Sorry about the chickens he got. I'd report it for sure so if he comes back and you do shoot him there is record of it happening before.

If you can't shoot the dog, MACE or pepper spray works wonders. Just spray the sucker right in the face and he'll think twice before coming onto your property. I have used this on dogs that chase me when I go running. One hit and the next time they see me they run around the back of their house to hide :)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your loss. I love dogs but they cant be allowed to go off-leash onto others' property to do harm like this. I don't know about shooting an intruder where you live, better check on that one. I know they are very slow to react but you should call animal control and let the know what's going on.

I'm sorry for your loss but once that dog growled at me on my property it be his end. Maybe discharging a firearm is illegal in your area if its a city. But i keep my dogs contained and if they got out and growled or went after somebody i wouldn't be the least upset if someone told me they shot them.

Found out I am allow to shoot a dog if it's attacking my livestock on my property in PA. We live far from any neighbors so I never thought I would have to deal with a dog just cougars, coyotes, weasels etc.. :) I went out this morning and saw something is still trying to get in there on the bottom side. I will really patch that up better tonight.. It's so cold out and I just had surgery so I am limited to what I can do each time.

I have also found that people with dogs don't like that I said I would shoot a dog. As if there dog is more valueable than my chicken?/? I didn't want to loose friends over this but sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom