My rights as a chicken owner

I'm kind of lucky with my neighbors. I keep chickens. They keep horses and cattle mainly, though there are a few other things in the area, even llamas, emus and donkeys. We all have dogs. The dogs are not house pets. They are working dogs, even if they are mostly mutts and not pure Livestock Guard Dog breeds. Their job is to keep critters away from the animals, gardens, and houses. They cannot do their job if they are locked up. They roam the countryside.

We've discussed it. If a dog is going after chickens, cattle, horses, or anything else, shoot it. Pure and simple. The Shovel and Shut Up part is not required. You try to train them when they are young, but if one can't stay trained, it is not hard to get another dog and start over. Not everybody has neighbors like mine.

If you live in an urban or suburban area, the rules are different. In those circumstances the dogs need to be contained. There, they are pets, not working dogs. There are laws about firearms and what you can or cannot do. If you live in that type of area, you need to know what the laws and restrictions are. That's kind of why I brought it up with my neighbors when I moved in here. I know where I stand with them and they know where they stand with me on this topic.

One thing that people need to keep in mind when posting "shoot the predator" comments is that even in states where it is legal to shoot wild animals or domestic ones that attack livestock, when people reside within city limits, or even within a certain distance of other residences, discharging a firearm becomes illegal (and dangerous). If a wild or domestic animal acts aggressively towards me or my family, or my animals on my property in the city, I would immediately be calling 911. Obviously not a reasonable answer if you live 50 miles form nowhere, but in built-up areas, it is probably the safest answer.

I love dogs and have dogs, in fact there are two here in the den asleep and snoring.

But I have also killed dogs for worrying livestock.

On this note, I will also say, if you kill a dog then get rid of the carcass pronto, because some folks will burn your barn down for killing their dog, even if the varmint had your animals in its mouth.

Bury it in the garden, throw it over a river bluff, carry it off up into the woods for the coyotes to find, but don't leave it for the world to see.

Wash the blood into the ground in case the owners come asking around if you have seen their dog.

They will be around, if there has been gun shots heard in the community and no hunting season is current at the time.

Back
Top Bottom