My Roos is going to attack me!

Maryallison77

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Fountain, Florida
I was sad and scared at the same time yesterday! Frank Feather Foot is my rooster and he is about 9 months old now. He is the only roo in the coop that he shares with about 20 hens. He is a very pretty Bantam Cochin. Well, I have noticed him coming at me when I pick up the girls over the last week. Yesterday he attacked!!!
hmm.png
I screamed and got out! I LOVE my chickens and pick them up all the time...... Now since yesterday I am too scared to go in the coop.
sad.png

Is there anything I can do to get Frank to like me again?
hmm.png
Or is he just being the man and protecting the hens from me and my LOVE? I am so sad, but if he dosen't calm down I'll have to get rid of him. I love hanging out in the coop with my flock and he is ruining it for all of us!
sad.png

Good news is that he's doing his job, so good for him in protecting his ladies. Not good for you or anyone else though. He is pretty young & with proper "training" I think he'll come around. Mine are all afraid of a fishing net & broom. Our broom works wonders if my roos get out of hand. All I have to do is pick it up and they stop misbehaving. I just think Frank needs to get it thru his roo head that you are also boss in the run. There's plenty of threads on rooster reform if you do a search on the forum's main page too. Good luck to you
thumbsup.gif

Oh yes, there are a lot of techniques you can apply for this. I believe soeme one on this site has an entire BYC page on just this problem. Can not remember who at this moment. Heck lately I can not remember S.

I am sure that some one will chime in and give you the poop.

This is what I have done and it works. My roo would flog me every time I would turn my back on him. I would chase him until I caught him..then I would carry him around until I was done with my work..then I would put him back down. After doing this just a few time. I haven't had anymore problems with him. Try it, hopefully it will work as well for you as it did for me. My roo is a New Hampshire. Well I wish you luck. DeeJay

My sumatra roo tried to get aggressive with me when he was young. He rammed into the back of my ankles when I turned my back to him. I thought he was just clumbsy so I laughed at him. The next day he did the same thing and it occurred to me what he was up to. I turned around and stomped my feet and walked toward him. The few days I did the same thing before he had a chance to touch me. He has never tried anyhthing since. He loves me now. My big brahma has always been carried around and knows I'm the boss, he's always been good.

Don't run away from him. That shows him that HE is right. Kick him or stomp the ground or chase him like you are the big mean chicken. He'll get it.

As Rooster Red says on his rooster training page, already posted here, if all else fails (carrying the rooster around, etc.) the final trump card is to catch the aggressive roo and hold him upside down by his feet. For good measure, you can parade him in front of the hens just to make the point that you're the boss. This is a last resort as there could be certain health risks to the rooster, but if you get mad enough, it works wonders. It solved the problem for us.

Oh, funny timing! Hi, Rooster Red! Your post popped in right before mine.

Last edited:
I've backhanded my rooster with a pair of gloves, "You sir are a cad! Pistols at dawn!"

However, I think the idea behind restraint is better. (Humiliation might be fun, too
wink.png
.)

Without question, Mikarod's solution would have a 100% success rate.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom