My rooster has started attacking me!

agree with CTKen. They say the meanest roosters make the best soup, unless you like stew better. Well if he ends up spurring/flogging you and causing hurt - please at least go in for a tetanus shot.
My friend had a silkie rooster - house chicken, and nursed him through serious health problems. She had him for years with 3 house pet hens. He had some disability and couldn't breed the hens - things were peaceful till he decided to attack my friend and spur her leaving deep punctures. Of course, she just told me, she gave him a stern talking to, and he wouldn't do it again. Yah, and I'm Mrs.Santa Claus.

Last bit
yuckyuck.gif

CT

welcome-byc.gif

If you really want a rooster for fertile eggs, get rid of this one, find one that isn't aggressive and get more hens. There's a glut of roosters on the market and it shouldn't be hard to find a calmer one. If you don't want fertile eggs, just get rid of the rooster, the girls won't miss him a bit.

Good luck!

I have mostly silkie chickens and the roosters get along very well. Last spring, I bought 6 bantams to keep one orphan silkie company inside our house while they got big enough to go back outside. I picked pretty well, and all but one were hens. Our one, tiny bantam rooster is terrible. The only thing he respects is a fly swatter, which I have on hand at all times. In November, he spurred me on the top of my hand and sent me to the emergency room. He follows me into the chicken house and sneaks up on me. Now, if he is in the chicken house, I give him a whack with the fly swatter before he even approaches me. It doesn't hurt him, but it startles him, and it gets him out of the house while I'm working. I know he will protect the hens better than the silkie roosters, and that's why I keep him. Also, as mean as he is, he is really tiny and cute.

Something unusual happened a couple of weeks ago. On of my silkie roosters went after him when he approached me. I raised the silkie boy inside my house last fall with his brother, and both of them got held a lot and are very tame, but I raised the bantams inside and was very hands on with them, too. I never thought a rooster would jump in to protect me, but this boy has done it every day.

I purchased my chickens in March 2017 thinking I was getting all hens (Ha Ha). Instead I ended up with 3 Orpington Roosters and 4 leghorn hens. I gave 1 of the roosters away, kept 2 of them and got 5 back yard hens. This gives me a total of 9 hens. Now 1 of my Orpington roosters has started attacking me. It started off as just an easy peck as I was giving them treats and I would swat at him enough to shew him away. Then shortly after that he started getting slightly more aggressive and I was told to show him that I was in charge and get a switch and swat him on the bottom when he starts to get aggressive or peck me and this worked for a while. One day as the chickens were walking with me back to the coop for some treats, the chickens got under my feet and I almost fell. I suppose I must have stepped on this roosters foot because he got very upset and start attacking me. Flapping his wings and trying to spur me. I was lucky I suppose because his spurs have not yet broken threw the skin. I stepped back and screamed "you better stop that right now" while pointing my finger at him angrily and he stopped and look at me. I then walked on into the coop. Now when he sees me coming to give them treats he will block the door either by standing in front of the door or on the roost right beside the door. There has been times where he will peck me as I am walking in or just right after I get in. Not all the time but once every week or so. Not sure why he is attacking me because I am the one who brings them the treats, food, and water. I do everything for them so why is he attacking me. I even thought that maybe I should pick him up off the roost and hold him until he realizes that I am not going to harm him. Does anyone know if this will work if I do it a few times until he realizes that I am not the enemy?

Back
Top Bottom