My rooster is doing the shuffle dance to me!

xmissjadie

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
I have a 3 month old silkie rooster and everytime I go in the yard he does the shuffle dance to me. Is that normal? Does he know he's suppose to be doing that to the hens? Maybe he's just a little confused. lol. He is still young though.
roll.png

I'd love to see the shuffle!!
He is obviously excited to see you. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's normal or not!

Roosters do the dance to impress the girls or display to other roosters their dominance.
When mine do this I pick them up, pet and cuddle them.

Cinnimon, partridge Silkie, actually loves to be picked up. He gets pouty if he don't get his cuddle.

Yes, I would agree with the above. That "dance" is about dominance. And it's 100% normal. Mine did the same thing at the same age - a frizzle. He now dances, then attacks my leg and draws blood. It sucks when they turn out that way. Not all roos are the same - I have one that is sweet as pie to me, only "dances" and attacks my large dog, but no others. Also, this "show" is about trying to mate. I see my roo's dancing before they hop on a hen and mate - they latch on with their beak on their neck, and can pull out feathers at times. It's pretty brutal. And they don't stop quickly. I wish they could be neutered.

Back
Top Bottom