my rooster is mating with my shoe...and not in a cute way

Bwa-hahahaha!!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
pop.gif

I had so much fun reading this thread that I sent it to my Mom to read. She said "Sounds like Rooster Sci-Fi. I wonder if a television program could be done on cable about it?"
gig.gif

In all seriousness, it seems like he looks at you as the "boss hen". What a conundrum. Is there anyone else who could accompany you when you do your chores that could help to keep him away from you? As funny as it is to read about, I would be so frustrated having to actually deal with this.

Quote:
I was reading the thread and howling when my son got home, so he had to read it, too. (It's ok- he's an adult.) Neither of us know anything about chickens, especially roosters, but he wondered if the training technique we used to teach our cat to stay off tables would work to keep a rooster off your shoes and feet. We filled a little spray bottle with water, and gave her a spray in the face when she was naughty. It's probably a crazy idea, and doesn't address the roo's underlying issues, but I know you must be ready to try about anything!! It's certainly not so funny at this point.
roll.png

gig.gif
this thread is sooo entertaining. it looks like you have a major challenge. maybe one of your close BYC buddies could take him on for a while to see if he will mate with other hens. YOU seem like the object of his affections and the only way to make that stop is....well...

basically, you need break up with him.
hide.gif

What a great post. I think he sees you as his favorite girl. I wonder if you left him with the girls and had a friend feed and take care of him and the girls for a week if it would help to break his "love affair" with you. Lessen the time you spend with him I am not sure if it will work or not. This story does remind me of 2 stories of my own
1. When I first got my little Cochin rooster he "mated" with a stuffed dog toy at least a few times a day it was really funny. The poor dogs had no idea what the rooster was doing to their toy.

2, Involves my beagle mixed (neutered male) My youngest DD got a seal with baby (stuffed the seal made noise) one Christmas well Christmas night after everyone was supposed to be in bed I kept hearing the noise from the seal (was supposed to sound like a real seal) I go to my DD's room and find the dog humping the seal he did this every time he found or saw this seal we had to hide the seal he will still hump the seal today if he could find it even if it does not make noise anymore this is the only stuffed toy he ever did this to. Still can not figure out what it was about the seal.

Thanks again for the laugh and hope you figure out how to break your roosters "love" for your feet and shoes.

Since he flings himself about so when he can't get to you, maybe he needs to be crated for a little while to give you a break and hopefully break him. He shouldn't be able to do too much damage to himself in one of those airline type dog crates. Right now he's in charge and it's not going to get any better. You might as well face it, he's addicted to love!!

My mother had a roo that "doodled" her shoes too. She gave him a doll that he used and abused on a regular basis.

Hope you find a solution...

Diana

I am hoping that over time, he will realize that he actually IS a chicken...right now he just seems annoyed by the hens because I seriously don't think he realizes that he is ONE of them:) I just started working again after a few weeks off, so hopefully he will mellow once I am not around so much. It sounds crazy, but I am convinced he knows that if my truck is parked there, I am home...and that when the truck leaves there is no point in crowing as much because I am not home! When I first pull in the driveway I don't usually see him being crazy (So I assume he calms down while he knows I am not at home), but as soon as he notices my truck or hears me park, he goes ballistic (jumping up and down, etc)!!!!!!!!!!!! I used to keep him out where I board my horse and I only made it out there every few days... he would start crowing once my truck pulled in the driveway and go absolutely crazy once he saw me walking towards the coop...but I know for a fact he wasn't like that the entire time I was away obviously. I almost feel like now that he lives only 20 feet from my apartment, things are worse because he gets SO agitated whenever he SEES me or knows I am home!! argh:(

Back
Top Bottom