My Roosters Hard Lump Under His Eye

PC Charming

Chirping
Jun 14, 2020
My Rooster Joe Jackson aka Joejoe still has a huge hard lump that feels solid right underneath his eye (I am attaching photos - but they aren't very clear - so let me know if I need to post more) He is going on 3 months with this - and we kept expecting it to go away but it hasn't. Has anyone experienced this and what did you do? The vets around here do not know how to help me.

Attachments

• Jojos Eye Infection.JPG
    Jojos Eye Infection.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Jojos Swollen Hard Eye.JPG
    Jojos Swollen Hard Eye.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 9
Has he had any other symptoms, such as sneezing, bubbles/foam in the eye, crackly breathing, gasping, or others? What do you see when you open his eye? Is there white or yellowish gunk? It could be from a peck wound, something stuck in the eye, or a sinus infection. Is there a bad odor from the eye? If there is pus, and there probably is, that needs to be squeezed and cleaned out. Flush it with saline, and apply some Neosporin ointment twice a day. It may take a few times to get it all out.

Hi @PCCharming, I saw your other newer thread. What antibiotic did you use and the dosage? I wanted to send you 2 very graphic video links about removing pus from the eyes:

Has he had any other symptoms, such as sneezing, bubbles/foam in the eye, crackly breathing, gasping, or others? What do you see when you open his eye? Is there white or yellowish gunk? It could be from a peck wound, something stuck in the eye, or a sinus infection. Is there a bad odor from the eye? If there is pus, and there probably is, that needs to be squeezed and cleaned out. Flush it with saline, and apply some Neosporin ointment twice a day. It may take a few times to get it all out.
We had been flushing it with saline rinse and putting a steroid cream on it - but now it is swollen completely shut and I am afraid the eye itself is at risk underneath whatever is going on. There is no odor - and he only wheezes after he has been eating his softened high protein mixture of seeds and grains I soak for him every night in his vitamins, antibiotic and Vet RX to keep him (hopefully) healthy enough to fight off any further issues. He gets off balance when he turns his head around - and almost falls over and then gets steady again - and when he walks he lifts his feet high like he is stepping over something that isn't there - so I know it is messing with his neurological or sinuses. If ANY of the vets were capable of caring for him - I would have them lance the eye open and see what is up - but with none of them having any experience at all with "poultry or livestock birds" I am afraid I would jut be sentencing him to death.

Hi @PCCharming, I saw your other newer thread. What antibiotic did you use and the dosage? I wanted to send you 2 very graphic video links about removing pus from the eyes:

Tetracycline which we add to his water and also terramycin ointment steroid we have been putting on the outside of his eye (which is what I use on any feral kittens with eye infections and it usually clears it right up) but neither have touched it. I even used my own human RX of ZPAK and broke it down and tried that - which was not effective either.

Will it be possible to push whatever is in there out - if it is underneath (and around his eye) not actually anything coming out of his eye? The eye is swollen shut from the hard very large tumor like bump underneath the eye. I will try and get a better photo or video tonight when I get home from work. My husband was going to try and force something out - but we are afraid of pushing it internally into the wrong areas of his face, head and eye.

Back
Top Bottom