My Rooster's Legs Are Red (Non-Emergency)

Elspeth Dinsmore

Songster
Mar 25, 2024
Hobbiton
Hello, all! I am a first time chicken keeper. I had a question about my rooster.
He is a 9 month old, 7 lb. Speckled Sussex named Alek Ross. In the past two days I noticed his feet were very red. His feet have always been redder than the hens, but it wasn't enough for concern. It just struck me as odd how red they were the past two days. I tried doing some research and saw some other people mentioning that it may be caused by hormones. But the pictures everyone had didn't seem to show feet as red as my rooster's. I was wondering if this is indeed just from hormones or something worse? He seems completely unbothered by it and is otherwise fine. None of the chickens have seemed to notice.
None of the hens have red feet/legs. Three of my Salmon Faverolles (besides them, no other hens have symptoms) seemed to have raised scales, so I am thinking they might have scaly leg mites. I started to treat them for that with some petroleum jelly. I also had put some petroleum jelly on his feet/legs as well because I noticed a scale or two lifted. (The petroleum jelly is why his feet/scales are a little dirty in the picture.)
I didn't think that would have caused irritation?
His spurs are starting to come in a little. Could that cause his legs to be more red? Thank you in advance. I get really nervous when I see something abnormal with them. I wanna take good care of my chickens. I really love them.

Attachments

• PXL_20240419_170416168.jpg
    PXL_20240419_170416168.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20240419_170429040.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240419_170429040.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20240419_170708770.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240419_170708770.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20240419_190833976.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240419_190833976.PORTRAIT.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240417_233206484.PORTRAIT_1_1.jpg
    PXL_20240417_233206484.PORTRAIT_1_1.jpg
    710.5 KB · Views: 9
As you already read, the redness of legs can be from hormones. I think that's what it is and his legs are just more red than others. Its completely normal, especially since its spring. If he doesn't seem bothered by it I would leave him alone and monitor.
From what I can see I don't think he has scaly legs mites, but like I said just keep an eye on those legs.

I would say think of it like a male bird during mating season, they have the brightest colors then to attract the ladies. His red legs are a hormone surge and due to the normal pinkish coloration of his legs, his hormones caused his legs to be very red. It is normal but is more prevalent in some roosters than it is in others, like how with wild birds some males have more dull colors than the other males.

You should have nothing to worry about!

Also, that is a beautiful rooster. My speckled sussex hen is my favorite of my chickens at the moment. They are beautiful birds!

As you already read, the redness of legs can be from hormones. I think that's what it is and his legs are just more red than others. Its completely normal, especially since its spring. If he doesn't seem bothered by it I would leave him alone and monitor.
From what I can see I don't think he has scaly legs mites, but like I said just keep an eye on those legs.
Thanks so much, Tookie! That definitely helps to set my mind at ease. It really helps to have kind people that know more about chickens than I do. 🥹
You are right that it doesn't look like he has scaly leg mites. I was just so nervous to have found the Faverolles looking like they had some that I was worried about the others as well. 😭 I attached a photo below of the Faverolles (The second photo, the foot is dirty again cause of petroleum jelly and I accidentally got some on the roosting bar too). I didn't notice it at first because the feathers covered their little feet.

Thanks again for all the help! ☺️

Attachments

• PXL_20240416_180305381.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240416_180305381.PORTRAIT.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240419_004050096.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240419_004050096.PORTRAIT.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Also, that is a beautiful rooster. My speckled sussex hen is my favorite of my chickens at the moment. They are beautiful birds!
Thank you! I do think he's so handsome! 🥰 He's also a really sweet & kind rooster. He loves hugs, he doesn't attack people (even when strangers come around), he takes care of his ladies by protecting them and feeding them. He's always watching over them to make sure they are safe. He also sees us as other protectors that are over him. So if I come and give him a hug, he falls asleep cause he knows he gets to be off duty for a little while. 🥹☺️

Thanks so much, Tookie! That definitely helps to set my mind at ease. It really helps to have kind people that know more about chickens than I do. 🥹
You are right that it doesn't look like he has scaly leg mites. I was just so nervous to have found the Faverolles looking like they had some that I was worried about the others as well. 😭 I attached a photo below of the Faverolles (The second photo, the foot is dirty again cause of petroleum jelly and I accidentally got some on the roosting bar too). I didn't notice it at first because the feathers covered their little feet.

Thanks again for all the help! ☺️
You're most welcome! I'm glad to help.
I totally understand you're worrying!
I see what concerns you on the Faverolles feet. I think that's just older scales, I've had birds before with scales raised like that.

You're most welcome! I'm glad to help.
I totally understand you're worrying!
I see what concerns you on the Faverolles feet. I think that's just older scales, I've had birds before with scales raised like that.
Oh thank you so much! That helps a lot! Especially since I've never had chickens before, I wouldn't have known that! 💕☺️

Back
Top Bottom