my 'shed" was delivered today

it is a great start.. it needs a roof slanted so the water doesn't just sit on it..

It very rarely rains here, maybe a light drizzle twice a year and one good rain for a couple of hours. I have a large heavy tarp that I can put over it if it rains. I don't think it would be worth the work it would take to modify the roof for our "un-rain".

and lift the nest boxes off the floor about 2' then it gives them more floor space..

Excellent idea, thanks!

you might be able to find used cabinets at the place where they build habitat for humanity they love people to buy and reuse their things..and the prices are great

I will check with them on Monday. Good idea.

Thanks so much for all the great ideas so far. I'm off to look at what others have done for inspiration...​

You'll use it right up to the 8', not a problem. This is great! Happy for you. Just don't keep the roof flat! That's your only real "major" expense left.

Lucky you
clap.gif

OK, I just went an raided my neighbor's scrap pile. I found some metal corrugated panels. Can I just put some 2x4's on one edge and attach the panels to the 2x4's on one end and directly to the existing roof on the other end? Would that give it enough of a slant?

It just never rains here... I really don't want to have to start removing the existing roof, my basic carpenter skills are going to be put to the test as it is. I have to do all the work by myself, and I'm just a little old lady!

I have made a couple of coops from similar crates and they have worked out great. None of mine were as substantial as yours. Corrugated metal or plastic on 2x4s works great for the roof. Even 3 or 4" of elevation change will give you good roof drainage.

Make sure that the drainage is not towards your run if you build one. A good 6" minimum overhang further directs water away from the coop.

I live in the same climate as you and have found it best to leave the door side of the crate open and facing south for ventilation and to minimize rain and wind intrusion. Cold is not much of a consideration for us so take advantage and maximize ventilation. If you reinforce what is now the door opening with studs you could remove the doors and use them to build your storage space . Alternatively you could use them in the open position. Add a little framing and a roof over the entire structure for a much larger coop.

If the coop is not directly attached to a secure run the "open" side is easily covered with hardware cloth. Arrange the door as you find convenient in that case.

These are a great value but will deteriorate rapidly if the exterior is not painted or otherwise sealed. Even then they are a 5 to ten year coop depending on how well you maintain it.

My property is a lot hillside. Instead of setting these coops perfectly flat I allow them to sit at a subtle angle so I don't need to do anything fancy for the elevation change on the roof. It is built in if you will. Tradeoff is that you either have to hang the feeders and waterers or make a platform that puts them on level.

think the roofing would work great.. just anchor them tight with those santa anna winds ... i lived in west covina for 22 yrs and they can be strong.. can't wait to see the end results
wee.gif

I live in the same climate as you and have found it best to leave the door side of the crate open and facing south for ventilation and to minimize rain and wind intrusion. Cold is not much of a consideration for us so take advantage and maximize ventilation. If you reinforce what is now the door opening with studs you could remove the doors and use them to build your storage space . Alternatively you could use them in the open position. Add a little framing and a roof over the entire structure for a much larger coop.

If the coop is not directly attached to a secure run the "open" side is easily covered with hardware cloth. Arrange the door as you find convenient in that case.

These are a great value but will deteriorate rapidly if the exterior is not painted or otherwise sealed. Even then they are a 5 to ten year coop depending on how well you maintain it.

My property is a lot hillside. Instead of setting these coops perfectly flat I allow them to sit at a subtle angle so I don't need to do anything fancy for the elevation change on the roof. It is built in if you will. Tradeoff is that you either have to hang the feeders and waterers or make a platform that puts them on level.

longranger: Thanks for the great ideas. My only choice left the front (door) side of the coop facing north, so I think I will leave the doors on, but I plan to cut some windows in both doors on hinges so they can be closed when the wind picks up. (screened of course). I also have a nice pre-made sliding window to put in the east side for extra ventilation. Lucky that the location of my coop is such that it only gets a couple of hours of morning sun and a couple of hours of late afternoon/early evening sun, it will help keep the temp inside from getting too hot. I purchased a 3 cans of Exterior paint from the mis-tint rack at Home Depot. I plan to paint it inside and out with at least a couple of coats to help preserve it and to make it "pretty". I had to laugh when you told me you used your hillside to get a subtle angle for your coop... my son and I tried to level the spot before the shed was delivered, but we didn't do as good a job as we thought, it is sitting at a very slight angle now and I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to level the heavy bugger! I guess I'll just leave it alone!!! I hated to cover the roof because I had bought a good, big skylight at a yard sale that I was going to put on the roof. Maybe I'll install it on the west wall instead, to give more light without the ocean breeze coming in. Hmmm, my brain is going a hundred miles an hour...​

Might I ask where you got it from and had it delivered from? Or was it a one time deal type thing?

Quote:
I got it from Craigs List, specifically the San Diego Craig's List. They have about 1,000 of these sheds that they are selling for $99. each. They come in two styles, 5x7x8 with two doors (like mine) and 5x8x7 with only one door on the 5' side. This is a storage company that bought out another storage company and is trying to empty the new warehouse of all these sheds. For anyone in the SD area, they are really nice folks and good, sturdy sheds! Check out the ad on C'sList or PM me for their contact info if you are interested.

Back
Top Bottom