My Silkie - Crop impaction, sour crop, diarrhea

moserls

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2018
My silkie who is about 7-8 months old had an impacted crop earlier this week but over 24 hours we were able to clear all but a tiny pea size piece. We started feeding her a small amount of scrambled eggs with a bit of coconut oil and put ACV in her water. We gave her a bit of yogurt but she didn’t eat a whole lot. Throughout she has been pooping normally. Yesterday her crop was a teeny bit swollen but I could still feel that pea sized material. This morning it is swollen slightly larger (maybe size of a quarter....no sour smell. Up until last night she was “vomiting”, but last night she had no vomit but lots of runny poop, dark green and lots of white, with water. Her appetite was really good until last night...she didn’t eat much. I gave her probiotics this am as well as ducolax to try to move that last little piece through. Small amount of scrambled egg this am and no oil as I’m concerned after reading some threads here that she shouldn’t have had that. I was going to worm her today with Safeguard but not sure how it’s going to go as she only weighs a bit over 2 lbs and has a tiny beak. Also I’m not sure if I should worm her if the diarrhea might be dehydrating her. I was also going to give her Monistat tonight. I’m really new to chickens and want to do everything I can for her but don’t know what to do now and what to wait on???

I'm curious about how you cleared the impacted crop. I had to do surgery--I don't recommend that route, but after a week, we couldn't make any progress on a fist-sized ball of straw, so...! But @Wyorp Rock is right--that's a GREAT article. And this is a reminder that I need to stock up on Monistat (Miconazole Nitrate) again! That stuff is AWESOME. I get it in suppository form, cut the suppository into smaller pieces, and get them down the esophogus by hand. The process is good practice if you ever have to tube feed, which I do three times a day now. :barnie (But that's better than 4-6 times a day!!)

Best wishes to you!

I'm curious about how you cleared the impacted crop. I had to do surgery--I don't recommend that route, but after a week, we couldn't make any progress on a fist-sized ball of straw, so...! But @Wyorp Rock is right--that's a GREAT article. And this is a reminder that I need to stock up on Monistat (Miconazole Nitrate) again! That stuff is AWESOME. I get it in suppository form, cut the suppository into smaller pieces, and get them down the esophogus by hand. The process is good practice if you ever have to tube feed, which I do three times a day now. :barnie (But that's better than 4-6 times a day!!)

Best wishes to you!
We massaged several times a day. Thankfully, she started bobbing and twisting her head before the mass got really big. It was a little smaller than a golf ball. We also tried to give her coconut oil chips on her beak but were not that successful. She was drinking really well. I’m paranoid about tubing anything since a vet tech killed one of my chickens while tube feeding this spring ☹️. I will probably have to get past that. My chicken is still not out of the woods.....she doesn’t smell like she has sour crop, but her crop is still swollen. On a positive note, she has never acted sick, her appetite is good tonight and she laid her first egg today. I couldn’t believe it. Now I’m wondering if she was egg bound, but she wasn’t laying yet so I hadn’t checked. I was actually planning on checking today.

We massaged several times a day. Thankfully, she started bobbing and twisting her head before the mass got really big. It was a little smaller than a golf ball. We also tried to give her coconut oil chips on her beak but were not that successful. She was drinking really well. I’m paranoid about tubing anything since a vet tech killed one of my chickens while tube feeding this spring ☹️. I will probably have to get past that. My chicken is still not out of the woods.....she
doesn’t smell like she has sour crop, but her crop is still swollen. On a positive note, she has never acted sick, her appetite is good tonight and she laid her first egg today. I couldn’t believe it. Now I’m wondering if she was egg bound, but she wasn’t laying yet so I hadn’t checked. I was actually planning on checking today.

I don't know if this is any comfort to you, but I NEVER thought I'd stick a tube down anything or anyone's throat. But when it came to saving a life, I womaned up and did it.

Two things about that: First, I got set up by a vet who gave me the equipment and ensured me that the tube I would use was too big to ever fit down the trachea. That's a massive comfort! I can't give you that, but I did post really comprehensive directions and videos in my thread, and I'm sure someone on here can guide you on equipment!

Second, I learned to trust my intuition. Twice when I was unsure that I was all the way into the crop, I was right and she aspirated. Lesson learned: when in doubt, pull it out! ;) Luckily, it wasn't more than her body could handle. I'm an absolute pro now, and that isn't bragging. It's reality. As she gets stronger and stronger, she's REALLY fighting me about getting that tube down her throat, but I've got a sure hand and a singular intent. I'm the mistress, and I'm saving her life, dammit! :plbb

Now I'm getting my 7 year-old Chicken Whisperer on board, because that's the only way my Little Miss Crossbeak is going to make it when I have extended travel! Twice now she has successfully put the tube in place. SO proud of her! If my 7 year-old can do it, you can do it! (Although, there's a reason why we call her the Chicken Whisperer...See my avatar pic! That's her at the tender age of 4. If one of our chickens is going to let someone pick them up, it's her they squat down for!)

Sorry for hijacking your thread! It's related, right? Best wishes and keep us all posted!

Last edited:
We massaged several times a day. Thankfully, she started bobbing and twisting her head before the mass got really big. It was a little smaller than a golf ball. We also tried to give her coconut oil chips on her beak but were not that successful. She was drinking really well. I’m paranoid about tubing anything since a vet tech killed one of my chickens while tube feeding this spring ☹️. I will probably have to get past that. My chicken is still not out of the woods.....she doesn’t smell like she has sour crop, but her crop is still swollen. On a positive note, she has never acted sick, her appetite is good tonight and she laid her first egg today. I couldn’t believe it. Now I’m wondering if she was egg bound, but she wasn’t laying yet so I hadn’t checked. I was actually planning on checking today.

A few other things:

1--Do they feel pain in the crop? It's a muscle, but I don't know about nerve endings in there. Hmmmm. Anyone out there know?

2--What came up, and did it come out in parts or in a whole ball when you dislodged the matter that was impacting her crop?

3--Do you feel like a queen now at making your chicken vomit? Kind of a weird skill set, right? Not one I'm going to put on my resume! ;)

A few other things:

1--Do they feel pain in the crop? It's a muscle, but I don't know about nerve endings in there. Hmmmm. Anyone out there know?

2--What came up, and did it come out in parts or in a whole ball when you dislodged the matter that was impacting her crop?

3--Do you feel like a queen now at making your chicken vomit? Kind of a weird skill set, right? Not one I'm going to put on my resume! ;)
I have read that they get uncomfortable when their crop is full, but don’t know if it’s that because they feel too full or it’s painful. I suspect at the very least that the pressure is painful. I do know that Lola seemed to really like the massage. It came out in small pieces with lots of liquid. She was drinking a ton of water. I do need to get over my fear of tubing. I know I may need to do it someday to save a life. In fact, right now we have a very thin rooster. But Lola is doing GREAT! The mass is gone, the swelling is gone and she’s quite active. I’m switching her to moistened layer crumbles today and if all goes well she’ll rejoin the flock tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom