my son is "THE PEST"

foghorn86

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 29, 2012
N. Texas
will my son or neighbor kids running around in the backyard chasing the chickens keep the hens from laying eggs? My hens are close to the age to start laying, and i dont want to mess them up.

I think if they are running around in a way that constantly sends the hens into a panic, making them fly or make uneasy sounds, then the stress of it may prevent them from laying (stress can do a lot of detrimental things, I don't see why not). If the kids are just running around and the chickens don't seemed bothered, then they're probably not. Whether they lay or not though, if they do seemed stressed by it, I would try to prevent it.

i dont want them back there at all, for the reason of scaring them. but then again, i want them to be kids and have fun with the chickens too. it's tough to say no to them, my son is 4, so he just wants to chase them for the fun and excitement of it, but i think the newness will wear off.

I understand it's exciting to chase the chickens, but it's a good thing to remember that if they learn how to treat your chickens, they can become real friends. Eat from the kids hands, jump on their lap, follow them around. But if the chickens get really scared of them, chances are that will never happen.

i dont want them back there at all, for the reason of scaring them. but then again, i want them to be kids and have fun with the chickens too. it's tough to say no to them, my son is 4, so he just wants to chase them for the fun and excitement of it, but i think the newness will wear off.

My son is 1. It took all of 2 outings to stop the chicken chasing. You should be careful. It can turn them "mean". Aka attacking your son.

playing can easily be seen as a predatory attack by a chicken the must play chickens might do is hide and scare the crap of others as a baby.

chasing a chicken or any prey animal usually makes them panic being low on the food chain means they have to be on edge about things that move fast, come out of no were and disappear, and things that circle or make a bee line for them.

thanks guys. i will explain to the kids that if they want to play with chickens, that it will have to be with their mcnuggets.

seriously though, i will explain that they have to be cautious and nice to them so they will eventually get used to humans and might even let the kids touch them.

my son is 4, so he just wants to chase them for the fun and excitement of it, but i think the newness will wear off.

There are lots of things that a child thinks is fun and exciting that a parent must teach them that they can not do. It's a parent's job to provide structure and to teach a child how to survive in this world. Providing fun for a child is peripheral and occasional and it is not the parent's primary job. Children (and dogs) must be trained how to behave around animals and how to treat them with respect and kindness.

Think about it: what benefit will your child get in life by learning to torment and disrespect animals? 4 years is plenty old enough to learn lessons about proper care and most children love doing farm chores side by side with a parent. It provides a good opportunity to both chat and to set a good example for the child. It can be the start of instilling a work ethic. Turn it into a great opportunity to teach valuable life lessons.

There are lots of things that a child thinks is fun and exciting that a parent must teach them that they can not do. It's a parent's job to provide structure and to teach a child how to survive in this world. Providing fun for a child is peripheral and occasional and it is not the parent's primary job. Children (and dogs) must be trained how to behave around animals and how to treat them with respect and kindness.

Think about it: what benefit will your child get in life by learning to torment and disrespect animals? 4 years is plenty old enough to learn lessons about proper care and most children love doing farm chores side by side with a parent. It provides a good opportunity to both chat and to set a good example for the child. It can be the start of instilling a work ethic. Turn it into a great opportunity to teach valuable life lessons.
X2

Back
Top Bottom