My Turkey can't Walk!

CakeMonster

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
Hi!
I have a 35 pound Broad Breasted White Female named Goldy that is two years of age.

She has been laying eggs, but she sits in the house all day and doesn't use her legs that often. It all started a couple weeks ago. I saw her lying down and panting. I tried to get her up but she wouldn't. So we put her in different places according to the weather. We also put the fan on her because she would be panting heavily nonstop. So for two weeks she hasn't layed eggs, or stood. We have to hand feed her and provide water frequently. We contacted a veterinarian and he thought that maybe she was egg-bound. But egg-bound birds usually die within 24-48 hours.

But she has improved just a little bit and has been trying to stand for we so when i get her out i support her breast and let her stand. she can stand but i have to help her because otherwise she would fall to the side. Frequently i flip her over a little and gently move her legs around.

The vet also said that it could be a pinched nerve in her neck and that it would get better in time???
hu.gif

I love her so much!

What would cause this?

Is it her excess weight that caused this?

What is the life expectancy of a Broad Breasted White?

Thanks.
jumpy.gif

Goldy Bright Turkenstein
smile.png

Last edited:
You could try limiting her feed intake (game bird maintenance twice a day). Does she walk to get to food and water? Beyond determining just how much she is eating per day, and then cutting that amount back by a third, assisting her in getting around as much as is tolerated and keeping the bedding clean there's not much else to be done. Weigh her before starting the `diet' and keep track weekly. If she loses several pounds over the next month and is still having the same difficulty then I'd be considering her quality of life.

The BB hens have a better outlook than BB toms, and BB hens that are primarily free ranged do better than those that don't have to forage - but all are very prone to early over/undergrowth of joints/muscles that become most apparent after reaching adulthood.

Sure hope the wt. reduction & `exercise' works out.

I raised a small flock of Broad Breasted Bronze Turkeys a few years ago, and the same thing happened to mine. One by one they lost the ability to walk. These turkeys were bred for the table, their breast eventually get so large that their hips cant stay in the socket. I'm sorry to give you bad news, but none of mine ever regained their ability to walk. If you get more in the future, I would choose a smaller breed. She is a beautiful girl.

Last edited:
She can stand on her own now for about 10 seconds before lying back down and trying again.We still have to provide food and water for her, but definitely not the same amounts, though. We only allow a limited diet for her. She is happy and is eating and drinking well when we have the bowls in front of her.

Thanks for the Advice!
thumbsup.gif

D.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Sorry to hear that. At least you provided her with a life that few of her variety experience.

We had to put down all three of our BBB's. Only one made it to a little over 4 months (legs/hips).
The heritage of worked out fine. Have a Slate hen that is going great guns and is nine years old.

Heritage do fly, but they can land without their undercarriages collapsing. You might want to try a heritage variety.

Sorry for your loss. I second what Ivan3 said. Look into some heritage breeds. Unfortunately lots of people bring home broad breasted varieties without knowing the short life expectancy. You must have taken great care of her though as she made it to two years.
hugs.gif

Ivan3 and TattoedMama, i have some bourbon reds that are almost 2 1/2 years and still strong! Are bourbon reds, heritage?

Ivan3 and TattoedMama, i have some bourbon reds that are almost 2 1/2 years and still strong! Are bourbon reds, heritage?

Yes. http://www.porterturkeys.com/

Any turkey poults being sold during Spring `chick days' at feedstores/farm supply are almost all some Commercial variety (deriving from Nicholas/ORLOPP) unless SPECIFICALLY tagged as some variety other than `oven ready RSN' (real soon now).

Problems, owing to breeding, of Heritage varieties, are usually the result of breeding `in-and-in' so that the variety `conforms' to some Standard (of Perfection) or other. Unlike the Commercials, however, problems in heritage tend to be limited to specific lines and are often difficult to diagnosis/identify as a `fault'; not as mere `collateral damage' resulting from intensive breeding for a `mutant' breast size in a minimum number of days owing to maximum feed conversion (another `characteristic').

Back
Top Bottom