My Week Old baby duck won't walk

Broke my heart to read that, I feel your pain
1f622.png
im so sorry for your loss. It was not a niacin deficiency then, it was some disease
1f614.png
again, I'm so sorry
1f622.png
hopefully he passed peacefully. He's with my duck pete now and with another lost duck named blueberry, he's in a better place now.

Just know nothing is your fault. Sending you hugs
1f62d.png

:hit I'm so so sorry for your loss :hugs RIP Milo

Thank you both so much ;(. His brother just recently passed away a few days before he did, I think it's on McMurray's end

Hello, I am almost sure it is a niacin deficiency, Signs of a niacin deficiency are
Lack of weight gain
Reluctance to walk
Failure to thrive
And eventually leg development is affected

You can put brewers yeast on the food or you can crush up a 100-150 mg. Niacin tablet per 1 gallon of water until 8 - 10 weeks old

Best wishes to you and your duck, he's adorable by the way :)

I've been having the same problem. My Blue Swedish hatched 13 beautiful little hybrid babies. They were doing really well up until they were a week old. Most of them had this problem, but all the ones that did died within and hour. I don't think it can happen that fast though. Is there anything else it could be? There are only three left and I'm very worried about them. One of them was frolicking an hour ago, but I came to check on her and she won't stand up. She's shaking and she's quiet. I'm getting her to move a little, but she can't stand up. She trying to walk, but she's just dragging herself along the floor. I was wondering if maybe they needed antibiotics or something? She also can't hold her head up and is sluggish.

This picture is from yesterday. This is not her with her symptoms.

Last edited:
I've been having the same problem. My Blue Swedish hatched 13 beautiful little hybrid babies. They were doing really well up until they were a week old. Most of them had this problem, but all the ones that did died within and hour. I don't think it can happen that fast though. Is there anything else it could be? There are only three left and I'm very worried about them. One of them was frolicking an hour ago, but I came to check on her and she won't stand up. She's shaking and she's quiet. I'm getting her to move a little, but she can't stand up. She trying to walk, but she's just dragging herself along the floor. I was wondering if maybe they needed antibiotics or something? She also can't hold her head up and is sluggish.

This picture is from yesterday. This is not her with her symptoms.

Hmm... It could be duck virus hepatitis, it spreads quite rapidly and ducklings can die within an hour, the only way to prevent it is to keep ducklings away from other ducks and if you are breeding ducks vaccinate the mother, symptoms are
Spasms and contractions in the legs and arching

Or it could be botulism
The bacterium clostridium botulinum produces toxins that are dangerous to ducks.
Colonies of this bacterium grow in stagnant ponds or in other areas where organic matter is decaying, such as where animal carcasses are decaying. The toxins produced can cause ducks to lose control of their muscles in their legs,neck and wings. You will see a ducks neck go limp, which is why this is also called limberneck. The affected duck will ask be unable to swallow. Avoid poisoning by keeping ducks away from stagnant water, especially in hot weather when the bacteria grows the most, the duck may die rapidly, but you can attempt this old treatment, give the duck one tablespoon of water with epson salts to one cup of water, administrator it with a syringe (not with a needle) because it cannot swallow easily.

Hopefully your ducks get better, they're beautiful! Im getting some blue Swedish ducks in the spring

Last edited:
Hmm... It could be duck virus hepatitis, it spreads quite rapidly and ducklings can die within an hour, the only way to prevent it is to keep ducklings away from other ducks and if you are breeding ducks vaccinate the mother, symptoms are
Spasms and contractions in the legs and arching

Or it could be botulism
The bacterium clostridium botulinum produces toxins that are dangerous to ducks.
Colonies of this bacterium grow in stagnant ponds or in other areas where organic matter is decaying, such as where animal carcasses are decaying. The toxins produced can cause ducks to lose control of their muscles in their legs,neck and wings. You will see a ducks neck go limp, which is why this is also called limberneck. The affected duck will ask be unable to swallow. Avoid poisoning by keeping ducks away from stagnant water, especially in hot weather when the bacteria grows the most, the duck may die rapidly, but you can attempt this old treatment, give the duck one tablespoon of water with epson salts to one cup of water, administrator it with a syringe (not with a needle) because it cannot swallow easily.

Hopefully your ducks get better, they're beautiful! Im getting some blue Swedish ducks in the spring

Thanks. She actually did a lot better on the Yeast. She was overheating too, so that might have contributed to the weird symptoms. I had to work, so I left with my roomate. It turns out she left, and I expected to come home to a dead duck. But when I went in to check on her she was good. In fact, she was having a fit because I separated her from her siblings.

Last edited:
Thanks. She actually did a lot better on the Yeast. She was overheating too, so that might have contributed to the weird symptoms. I had to work, so I left with my roomate. It turns out she left, and I expected to come home to a dead duck. But when I went in to check on her she was good. In fact, she was having a fit because I separated her from her siblings.

Aww, they're so cute! (I'm having duck fever at the moment so I pretty much want every duck lol
1f602.png
)

I'm glad the yeast is helping, that means it is a deficiency most likely, it's likely at that age to get a niacin deficiency. Just keep giving the yeast until 8 - 10 weeks
1f60a.png

Good luck, and if you have anymore issues just ask and I'll try and help the best I can :)

Hey, it's me again. Same duckling, different problem. She keeps throwing up. Her neck is swollen and she just won't stop throwing up. She's acting really strange. I don't know how to put it, but she's off. I separated her from the others. What could this be, and what should I do?

Hey, it's me again. Same duckling, different problem. She keeps throwing up. Her neck is swollen and she just won't stop throwing up. She's acting really strange. I don't know how to put it, but she's off. I separated her from the others. What could this be, and what should I do?

What does the sick look like? How is she doing now?

Do you think maybe she swallowed some bedding and it's stuck?

Back
Top Bottom