My Week Old baby duck won't walk

Hey, it's me again. Same duckling, different problem. She keeps throwing up. Her neck is swollen and she just won't stop throwing up. She's acting really strange. I don't know how to put it, but she's off. I separated her from the others. What could this be, and what should I do?

Ok, to start off I greatly apologize for not being on here and seeing this post sooner, I've been super busy and haven't had time to be on here until now. how is she? Nausea/vomiting could be a bacterial infection or poison consumption, what does her droppings look like? Nausea/vomiting can also be due to stress, fever or
osteomyelitis

Osteomyelitis is a bone infection
Symptoms: lameness, abcess, fever, lethargy, appetite loss, nausea, behavioral changes and depression

Treatment: (expensive) a vet will do an x-ray to be sure of infection, in early cases it cannot be seen via x-ray and the vet will have to sample the bacteria via a needle

To prevent osteomyelitis just maintain good flock hygiene, if a bird gets cut clean it with an antiseptic etc...

If it was something blocking her crop she wouldn't be vomiting, so I don't think that's it's a blocked crop

Do you clean the container they're in at least once a day? They have to be in a clean environment, especially as ducklings, being in a dirty environment, like being in a dirty container too often could cause a bacterial infection, do you let them have 10-15 mins of outside time or swimming time a day? (Supervised at all times)

Bacteria infection symptoms: behavioral changes, disinterest in regular activities, lethargy, weakness, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, loss of appetite and diarrhea

For treatment you will have to google, I'm not quite sure but activated charcoal might work

Or it could be poisoning

Symptoms of poisoning: disinterest in regular activities, loss of appetite (even favorite treats), lethargy, hiding away, avoiding other flock members, remaining in one place for a long period of time

Treatment:

1) removal of toxins: activated charcoal, 1 teaspoon mixed with food (ensure nutritional shake) once daily for 3 days (syringe fed)

2) antibiotics: clavamox 250 mg twice daily for 7 days, given 2 hours prior to administering activated charcoal

3) syringe feeding: ensure plus nutrition shake (strawberry), critical care, probiotics (manna feast and Avi culture)

4) pain management: 2.5 mg torbitrol at bedtime to ensure good night's rest, which is vital to recovery

Best luck to you and your duck
263a.png

P.S
Happy Halloween
1f47b.png
1f383.png

Last edited:
Ok, to start off I greatly apologize for not being on here and seeing this post sooner, I've been super busy and haven't had time to be on here until now. how is she? Nausea/vomiting could be a bacterial infection or poison consumption, what does her droppings look like? Nausea/vomiting can also be due to stress, fever or
osteomyelitis

Osteomyelitis is a bone infection
Symptoms: lameness, abcess, fever, lethargy, appetite loss, nausea, behavioral changes and depression

Treatment: (expensive) a vet will do an x-ray to be sure of infection, in early cases it cannot be seen via x-ray and the vet will have to sample the bacteria via a needle

To prevent osteomyelitis just maintain good flock hygiene, if a bird gets cut clean it with an antiseptic etc...

If it was something blocking her crop she wouldn't be vomiting, so I don't think that's it's a blocked crop

Do you clean the container they're in at least once a day? They have to be in a clean environment, especially as ducklings, being in a dirty environment, like being in a dirty container too often could cause a bacterial infection, do you let them have 10-15 mins of outside time or swimming time a day? (Supervised at all times)

Bacteria infection symptoms: behavioral changes, disinterest in regular activities, lethargy, weakness, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, loss of appetite and diarrhea

For treatment you will have to google, I'm not quite sure but activated charcoal might work

Or it could be poisoning

Symptoms of poisoning: disinterest in regular activities, loss of appetite (even favorite treats), lethargy, hiding away, avoiding other flock members, remaining in one place for a long period of time

Treatment:

1) removal of toxins: activated charcoal, 1 teaspoon mixed with food (ensure nutritional shake) once daily for 3 days (syringe fed)

2) antibiotics: clavamox 250 mg twice daily for 7 days, given 2 hours prior to administering activated charcoal

3) syringe feeding: ensure plus nutrition shake (strawberry), critical care, probiotics (manna feast and Avi culture)

4) pain management: 2.5 mg torbitrol at bedtime to ensure good night's rest, which is vital to recovery

Best luck to you and your duck
263a.png

P.S
Happy Halloween
1f47b.png
1f383.png

@ANightPersn

How's the duckling doing?
I've been wondering about her :)

Your page shows you've been online but you've not replied to me?

Back
Top Bottom