My wife's "pet" hen

rachki

Songster
6 Years
Apr 10, 2018
We have 50-some odd layers, mostly RIRs, Barred Rocks, and a couple Easter Eggers plus a few others sprinkled in. My wife saw some Bantam Easter Eggers in a feed store a couple months back and just had to get 2 of them as "cute pets" that we wouldn't kill or eat.

I figured that was fine since Bantam Easter Eggers lay cute eggs that we might could sell. 1 bantam died, the other is fine, except he looks a bit male...

Thoughts? Male or female? I'm thinking boy...

Don't want to breed the hens with him if he is a male. I'd rather breed the hens with roosters of good-laying breeds such as Leghorns, Barred Rocks, RIRs.

Attachments

• IMG950876[1].jpg
    IMG950876[1].jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 30
Mille Fleur D'uccle Cockerel

Note: if a hen is a certain breed, it will lay eggs like that breed. It doesn't matter what you breed them with. Also, hens will lay without a rooster. So unless you are wanting to hatch chicks, and want specific egg layers, it wouldn't matter if you did breed them with an EE bantam. Except this isn't a EE and bantams aren't that good at breeding large size hens.

Thanks all. My wife doesn't want to sell him/eat him [His name is Frodo now], so we're going to build a separate small run/coop for him. We also ordered a straight run of 25 Mille Fleur bantams. We'll keep the 13ish hens we get from 'em and sell/eat any excess cockerels.

The white spots are coming in now, he's definitely a Mille Fleur d'Uccle

Attachments

• 20180608_170508[1].jpg
    20180608_170508[1].jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom