My...YELLOW? pea chick is supposed to be indian blue...? huh?

Spongegirl

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
middle earth
I just incubated 4

peafowl eggs and one has hatched. It's bright yellow. The egg seller said they were indian blue. I know nothing about peafowl. I only know about silkie chicken color genetics. Did I just hatch a white pea bird? or do they morph colors later, or what? Thanks. Honestly, I'm stunned any of the eggs hatched. One other one might, its still moving within.

Last edited:
ok. I need a peababy 101 link with great pointers...or everyone take a minute to write some great pointers...one liners. lol. I'm a newbie to peafowl and my first just hatched. I read the thread before this one and it is similar to my question. I am not new to keeping chickens, I have lots of silkies, but now I have this new baby and I have to try and decode all these abbreviations I see pea people talkin bout ;) I did read the 101 guide thread here on it though. But its not enough. I need to know about color genetics. I have the silkie color genetics down, mostly so now, something new! Thank you! What a great thing to have around...a pea bird! I did it, it really hatched.

A yellow chick is either Black Shoulder or white. If the wing feathers a a cream/light tan color then the chick is Black Shoulder (BS) if they are pure white then the chick is a white bird. You will know as the chick grows and starts to darken, if it does darken it is BS.

CONGRATS on your first hatch!! Hope the second one makes it as well
wink.png
highfive.gif
yesss.gif

Last edited:
I just incubated 5 peafowl eggs and one has hatched. It's bright yellow. The egg seller said they were indian blue. I know nothing about peafowl. I only know about silkie chicken color genetics. Did I just hatch a white pea bird? or do they morph colors later, or what? Thanks. Honestly, I'm stunned any of the eggs hatched. One other one might, its still moving within.
Call the seller of the eggs and ask them if the parent birds have and white wing feathers. If they do, I bet you have a white peachick! Congrats!

-Kathy

Poor lil peababy has crooked toes and was walking on sides of knuckles...ouch! was about to get raw and bleeding. I think today I will redo them and pad between the stick and the tape with cotton. Poor baby. Im guessing this is a genetic thing?

Poor lil peababy has crooked toes and was walking on sides of knuckles...ouch! was about to get raw and bleeding. I think today I will redo them and pad between the stick and the tape with cotton. Poor baby. Im guessing this is a genetic thing?
I use a band aid. I cut off the pad and toss it and use the sticky parts LOL. press the bottom of the 3 toes onto the stick side and then straighten out the toes and then cover with the other one and press together. When your done it will look like duck feet. The chick will be able to walk and in a 5-7 days the toes are straight.

Back
Top Bottom