My

There is great advice for you out here and I am sure you will find the right horse for your daughter. I agree that you should visit many farms and see what horse would fit your needs best. Some Vanners are overpriced and some are not, it will depend on each horse. If you do your homework you will come up with a rough idea on what the horse should cost based on lineage, conformation, training, etc. Good luck, feel free to pm me if you need any help. I have no horses for sale right now but will be happy to point you into the direction of reasonable and reputable breeders.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

The rules in various horse show organizations do indeed vary, but I haven't yet seen any rules that restrict anyone from showing Gypsy Vanners in any shows of any type - including County Fairs, where I see them in riding classes. I also see them at dressage shows (rules are set by USEF).

Maybe there are some organizations out there that consider them 'non riding' horses and restrict their entry in that club's classes, and a private club can write whatever weird rules they want, but I have not seen any of it. A county fair organization can write whatever rules it wants too, but I've never been to a county fair that didn't allow people to enter Vanners in riding classes.

Your girl can contact the local county fair committee and ask for a copy of their class list and their rules.

It would be about that easy to put any concerns about the Vanner to rest.

But just as far as information, the Gypsy Vanner isn't a heavy draft horse in the sense that a Clydesdale or Belgian is.

The Gypsy Vanners are sturdy and 'drafty' (thick necks, round hind quarters, thicker legs, etc), but they're quite small. They can be used for light agricultural work, pulling a small wagon or cart, or riding. In that sense, they're more in the category of the 'Ride and Drive' breeds, a group of breeds that has almost disappeared with the automobile's arrival. There were really two types of 'ride and drives' - a heavier type (Gundbradsdal, Vanner, etc) and the fancier type (Gelder, etc). There used to be many types of horses that are virtually unknown today. Draft horses included breeds that were often much shorter and thicker than the 'hitchier' (taller, long legged, thinner) types we see today.

As for them 'carrying their heads up naturally and other horses have to be trained to do that', I suppose the day is young and I MIGHT hear someone say SOMETHING more peculiar than that, but I doubt it.

Sometimes, horse show mommies are just nasty. They're nasty to people who aren't in their little clique, and they're nasty to newcomers, and they're nasty to little girls when no one is around to make them not be nasty to little girls. Your girl will learn how to deal with it and how to not have it hurt her feelings. It's very easy to do - you just don't pay any attention to them.

If your little girl wants a very pretty horse that has a long mane and tail, a sturdy friend she can trail ride and have fun with, the Gypsy Vanner is an ideal breed for her to get.

If her dreams are to be a show-jumper, 3-day eventer ordressage rider, she should consider a different breed, unless she's just starting out, and then she can learn on almost any breed as long as it's a good beginner horse - already very well trained, over 10 years of age, and naturally very calm and quiet.

Gypsy Vanners are not magically different from other horse breeds - YES - they are no different from any other breed of horses. They are like all breeds of horses - they need training, consistency, good care and regular exercise.

They are very popular now, and a lot of very exaggerated, really silly things are said about them by those who are selling them. They are NOT immune to spooking, bucking, running away or kicking, biting or pawing. They are NOT 'born trained'. They cannot be 'trained by someone who never trained a horse before' any more than any other breed might be. They are NOT 'perfectly mannered by nature', all of them are NOT 'quiet and gentle' - the advertising for them is such that many of us old timers snicker at these ads - they're ridiculous.

But make no mistake. A good lot of the resentment over Vanners is from people who have horses for sale that aren't selling. There's ALMOST as much 'Gypsy Vanners stink' as there is 'Gypsy Vanners poop butterflies' - I'd say the race is ALMOST even.

So what is the REAL lowdown?

For one thing, you've got a breed with long mane and tail and attractive coloring that is just as cute as a bug in a rug. They're simply appealing. People like them. LOTS of people like them. They're generally fun to ride, and just fine if you don't mine taking care of all the extra hair. There's a certain part of the horse market that simply does not CARE that these animals cannot run as fast as a Thoroughbred, get down on the ground and cut cattle like a Quarter Horse, or spring along or leap over jumps like a warmblood horse. They do dressage, jump and run just about as well as about 90% of the horse market needs - about 90% is about nice regular NORMAL people who like to have fun on a weekend trailriding, riding around their farm, or just spending time with their horse.

Vanners have very heavy leg hair, and that means they need extra care. If they stand out in a muddy pasture, pen or stall for hours, they're very likely to get 'scratches' - no, not small cuts - scratches is a type of skin infection that long leg hair seems to really encourage. They need extra care to keep their lower legs clean and dry for as many hours a day as possible. The long hair can be clipped off every few months, but breed is famous for its shaggy legs.

That long mane and tail hair also requires care. If it's left alone it gets tangled and full of burrs and can be very uncomfortable for the animal, to say nothing of housing lice and other problems.

Vanners also seem to me to be vulnerable to heat. If I lived in one of the very hot southern or western states and I had some, I'd plan to clip them or otherwise make sure they are not suffering in the heat. The tendency to be chubby and the extra hair may be a factor - but I think the fact that they're very often more of an 'ornament' than a work animal, may be a factor in not tolerating heat.

Like other slightly heavier horse breeds, the owner must be VERY careful to not let them get overweight. That 'roly poly' look is extremely unhealthy. Just as a heavy person can get leg problems, diabetes and heart disease, heavy horses can get inflammation in their feet (Crippling or fatal), they can actually get a diabetes-like condition as well (also very grave).

The other disadvantage of Gypsy Vanners is that they are extremely expensive. They're out of many people's price range. Occasionally a reject youngster with undesirable traits is sold for cheap, but in general, these are VERY costly animals. It's not at all unusual for me to see ads for completely untrained youngsters for 30 times or more, over what I can pick up a cheap horse for. An international show jumper once joked with me that she could buy a top class international prospect for less than she'd pay for a Gypsy Vanner.

With the economy deteriorating right when a lot of people got into breeding and selling Vanners, the prices are a little less right now, but they're still incredibly costly.

All in all, this breed, which has recently experienced a huge fad in the USA, is like any other breed of horse - good care, careful training and being educated about horses and having a good place to keep them with dry standings and good fence - that's what makes a happy, healthy horse and a happy horse owner.

If your girl is new to horses, a few more years of taking lessons at a riding stable, and perhaps some time as a volunteer or assistant at a stable, would be the right thing to do rather than to rush into ownership.

I know when I was a horse crazy youngster I would have tried to keep my horse in our lawn mower shed and fed it iceberg lettuce for dinner. It's really very important to keep young horse lovers from getting a horse until they have the time, money, suitable housing and knowledge it needs. Estimates today give the cost of horse ownership at from 3000 to 6000 dollars a year.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well if it was my daughter, I'd be worrying about this person filling my child's head with a ridiculous bunch of inaccurate, untrue nonsense about horses.

Gypsey Vanners are nice. I've owned one and also had alot of friends with them. They are a great breed however, I have found through experience they make a much better driving horse than a riding horse. They move very nice but my gelding that I owned Ted was so much more in tune with driving than riding. He just seemed to ease into driving and when I would get on his back, he would tense up and not cooperate as much. My friend who was a Vet lost her stallion at a very young age. They do have some medical issues that I think anyone that would consider buying one should read up on the breed and make sure it something your willing to commit too.

As far as showing, every state and county is different but, An open show is exactly what it is "Open". My friend that was a Vet did Dressage and did very well at it with her Boy. He had a natural flow about him but, boy did he move the earth as he rode on buy in the indoor. It was as if every step was like a beat to your own heart.
love.gif

best wishes
smile.png

Quote:
As a fellow Friesian enthusiast, I would love to see a picture of your horse Bo!
love.gif

Competition can bring out the worst in people which stinks of course. Just keep doing what your doing and have fun!
smile.png

Quote:
As a fellow Friesian enthusiast, I would love to see a picture of your horse Bo!
love.gif

Competition can bring out the worst in people which stinks of course. Just keep doing what your doing and have fun!
smile.png

X2...pictures
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom