Mycoplasma testing florida

Stephh0701

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Florida
Last month I brought a rooster home from a lady who clearly wasn't taking care of her chickens. He didn't seem sick with anything viral but was underweight, had sores on the pads of his feet, fleas and lice and smelt horrible. I kept him separated from my girls by an acre in a pen until about 3 days ago, but about 2 weeks ago my girls started sneezing. The past weeks we've gone from 18 eggs a day to 5 eggs a day. Yesterday two were "gurgling" on the roost. No one had had any discharge or swelling until today when one of my pullets who hasn't started laying (and is also bottom of the pecking order) walked past me and I can see her eye is mildly swollen. She's gurgling, and sneezing and looks like she's sicker than any of the others. I'm trying to find out how to get testing done on my flock, either a necropsy or just swab or blood tests but can't find much info on where to have it done in Florida. Does anyone else from Florida know where I could get this done? I'm really worried about it being mycoplasma, but infectious Bronchitus worries me too. Can a flock recover from infectious Bronchitus or is it like mycoplasma and is a lifelong issue?

One eye is swollen. The others fine

Attachments

• 20230416_200328.jpg
    20230416_200328.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230416_200457.jpg
    20230416_200457.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230416_200415.jpg
    20230416_200415.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 7
Last month I brought a rooster home from a lady who clearly wasn't taking care of her chickens. He didn't seem sick with anything viral but was underweight, had sores on the pads of his feet, fleas and lice and smelt horrible. I kept him separated from my girls by an acre in a pen until about 3 days ago, but about 2 weeks ago my girls started sneezing. The past weeks we've gone from 18 eggs a day to 5 eggs a day. Yesterday two were "gurgling" on the roost. No one had had any discharge or swelling until today when one of my pullets who hasn't started laying (and is also bottom of the pecking order) walked past me and I can see her eye is mildly swollen. She's gurgling, and sneezing and looks like she's sicker than any of the others. I'm trying to find out how to get testing done on my flock, either a necropsy or just swab or blood tests but can't find much info on where to have it done in Florida. Does anyone else from Florida know where I could get this done? I'm really worried about it being mycoplasma, but infectious Bronchitus worries me too. Can a flock recover from infectious Bronchitus or is it like mycoplasma and is a lifelong issue?
Here's a link for you with a contact number at the University of Florida.
https://extension.vetmed.ufl.edu/poultry-extension/contact-us/

Back
Top Bottom