Mycroplasma Chickens

SuffolkGirl

Songster
Jun 1, 2020
UK
I believe my chickens have Mycroplasma due to infected birds coming into my flock of three.

i managed to keep on top of it with antibiotics whenever some showed symptoms. Sadly I lost one as she went off her legs probably last year.

One of my remaining two who often has bouts but is quickly better with antibiotics has started going off her legs. Her comb has gone a funny colour and she seems hunched. Kind of perky but I have noticed her legs this past week and keeping a close eye. She is much worse today. I have no doubt she will have to be put out of her misery as much as I hate loosing them.

My biggest question is my remaining chicken. Sadly my favourite. She has never shown any symptoms of the disease. Nothing. Now does this mean she is a carrier or immune. I don’t want to kill her but I also don’t want to get more chickens if she is a carrier as I’ll be in the same position.

She still lays. She a lovely girl. I’d be gutted if I have to loose her or could I rehome her??

What’s the best thing to do?

How old are they? Usually mycoplasma doesn't do much harm. Up to 68% of poultry have it as it’s common to go unnoticed. My chickens have it too but they’re fine and don’t show symptoms unless under stress. How does she do without antibiotics? I wouldn’t suggest giving antibiotics constantly unless it’s serious or if they’re an older bird. Try giving her extra vitamin supplements like vitamin B for a boost and try adding egg and fish to her diet but mainly keep the diet as layer pellets. Check her poop. Is there any blood or worms?

How old are they? Usually mycoplasma doesn't do much harm. Up to 68% of poultry have it as it’s common to go unnoticed. My chickens have it too but they’re fine and don’t show symptoms unless under stress. How does she do without antibiotics? I wouldn’t suggest giving antibiotics constantly unless it’s serious or if they’re an older bird. Try giving her extra vitamin supplements like vitamin B for a boost and try adding egg and fish to her diet but mainly keep the diet as layer pellets. Check her poop. Is there any blood or worms?
She’s six. I only give medicine when I know she’s struggling which is possibly once in a year. She’s nearly toppling over on her legs and they’re gradually getting wider apart. She has a very messy bum which I’m cleaning often but it’s messy. Haven’t changed their diets as never had a problem with what they’ve had. They have poultry tonic and boost as often as they should and wormed throughout the year as recommended.

It’s mainly the other I was concerned about as I don’t want her to be alone. My friend has offered to take her but I didn’t want to risk infecting his birds

She’s six. I only give medicine when I know she’s struggling which is possibly once in a year. She’s nearly toppling over on her legs and they’re gradually getting wider apart. She has a very messy bum which I’m cleaning often but it’s messy. Haven’t changed their diets as never had a problem with what they’ve had. They have poultry tonic and boost as often as they should and wormed throughout the year as recommended.

It’s mainly the other I was concerned about as I don’t want her to be alone. My friend has offered to take her but I didn’t want to risk infecting his birds
Sounds like Mycoplasma synovian to me. I wouldn’t give her to your friend. Mycoplasma is really common and highly infectious in poultry in the UK unfortunately. there’s nothing much you can really do. If her suffering gets worse I’d suggest culling her as she’s alone and an older bird then try waiting a few months so the place can decontaminate and you can reintroduce chickens. Unfortunately some chickens are more affected by the disease. Just avoid putting them under any stress especially since she’s an older bird. Hope she gets better :)

Back
Top Bottom