Mysterious Bald Spot - Parasite?

RodBrandt

Songster
7 Years
May 16, 2016
Fuffi is a Blue Splash Marans, 26 weeks old. Normal size and weight for her breed. Laid her first egg 3 days ago.

For the past week, she has been staying back from the rest of the flock, spending time alone, standing back when it's treat time and not always eating with the rest.

Two days ago we noticed a bald spot with feathers broken off at skin (see photos). This area is about 2 to 3 inches below vent, slightly larger than a silver dollar. She is the only one in the flock with this issue.

Have not seen any visible parasites, including a check tonight after girls had been on roost for 2 hours. There appears to be bruising in affected area, perhaps a little pinpoint bleeding and some scabbing. Vent looks normal, clean, free of anything suspicious.

Flock has been on layer feed since 20 weeks of age. We believe her food and water intake to be normal. We have only witnessed her poop once since noticing this issue. Stool was very loose.

Today we sprayed the spot with Vetericyn. Had it on hand; figured it wouldn't hurt.

Looking for advice on how to treat.

It's winter here; local temps are in mid 30s F with high humidity.

We use sand in our coop and have done so for several years.

Thanks!

IMG_2845.JPG
IMG_2847.JPG

Is she free ranged? This is a shot in the dark here, but I wonder if a predator tried to grab her and ripped out the feathers instead? I see some blood so I'm certain she did not lose them naturally. Hopefully it doesnt happen again. You did good with the vetericyn, I would've done the same. If she is free ranged, I would keep them all in the coop for a few days just in case something tries to get her again.
I hope she recovers soon! :hugs

For the past week, she has been staying back from the rest of the flock, spending time alone, standing back when it's treat time and not always eating with the rest.
26 weeks old. Normal size and weight for her breed. Laid her first egg 3 days ago.
Two days ago we noticed a bald spot with feathers broken off at skin (see photos). This area is about 2 to 3 inches below vent, slightly larger than a silver dollar. She is the only one in the flock with this issue.
There appears to be bruising in affected area, perhaps a little pinpoint bleeding and some scabbing. Vent looks normal, clean, free of anything suspicious.
We have only witnessed her poop once since noticing this issue. Stool was very loose.
I would observe the flock's behavior and see if you notice her being plucked. This may be happening during roosting time.

With her hanging back - I'm going to take a guess she's likely lowest in pecking order and she has just come into lay as well, so her behavior may be drawing some unwanted attention.

Vetericyn is good to use on sores. If the picking continues or the spot gets bigger you may want to try Pine Tar. I've never used it, but some folks have reported good results. Sometimes adding another feeder, another roosting bar or providing some obstacles can also be helpful if overcrowding (or bossy dominant breeds) are a problem.

I agree with Wyorp Rock. She's probably at the bottom of the pecking order and is being picked on. Apply pine tar to the area or Nu-Stock. It will heal the area and prevent feather picking. Once a feather picker gets a mouthful of pine tar or Nu-Stock, it wont happen again.
Wear disposable gloves when applying either product. Nu-Stock can be found in the equine section at a feed store, shake the tube well before applying.
thnustock.jpg

Is she free ranged? This is a shot in the dark here, but I wonder if a predator tried to grab her and ripped out the feathers instead? I see some blood so I'm certain she did not lose them naturally. Hopefully it doesnt happen again. You did good with the vetericyn, I would've done the same. If she is free ranged, I would keep them all in the coop for a few days just in case something tries to get her again.
I hope she recovers soon! :hugs
Excellent thought. Girls are not free ranged, so predators do not have access. We have a large run that is secure and a coop that is a fortress. So, I don't think even rats can get into the coop. Thank you!

I agree with Wyorp Rock. She's probably at the bottom of the pecking order and is being picked on. Apply pine tar to the area or Nu-Stock. It will heal the area and prevent feather picking. Once a feather picker gets a mouthful of pine tar or Nu-Stock, it wont happen again.
Wear disposable gloves when applying either product. Nu-Stock can be found in the equine section at a feed store, shake the tube well before applying.
View attachment 2014435
Thank you very much! Will do!

I would observe the flock's behavior and see if you notice her being plucked. This may be happening during roosting time.

With her hanging back - I'm going to take a guess she's likely lowest in pecking order and she has just come into lay as well, so her behavior may be drawing some unwanted attention.

Vetericyn is good to use on sores. If the picking continues or the spot gets bigger you may want to try Pine Tar. I've never used it, but some folks have reported good results. Sometimes adding another feeder, another roosting bar or providing some obstacles can also be helpful if overcrowding (or bossy dominant breeds) are a problem.
Great advice - thank you so much!

How old is the rest of your flock? How big is your coop/run. Last fall I had a young hen develop a very similar spot which got larger until she is nearly bald. Like you I couldn't find any signs of mites or other parasites in any of my hens. After a while it started to look like my hens were attending fight club when I wasn't looking.
After much sage advice from the lovely folks on this forum I think the problem is that I have two "old" hens and 5 younger hens. I think the old bauds are brutalizing the young ladies. I'm doubling the size of my coop and as someone mentioned above I'm adding feeders and watering cans so the can self segregate. If that doesn't clear things up I'm planning on pulling the older hens out of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom