Mysterious Death in flock - Please help

alexandhammy

Hatching
Dec 22, 2021
I have a flock of 2 drakes and 5 ducks, theyre in a closed coop with three roosters. I went into the coop today and one of the ducks had a broken neck. Nobody else was injured or dead. There was no blood, no apparent puncture wounds. I checked to see if she could have got stuck somewhere but there was no where for this to happen. Could the two drakes have broken her neck? Would a predator have gotten in some how and just broke her neck and left the rest? I am so confused and concerned....and sad

I have a flock of 2 drakes and 5 ducks, theyre in a closed coop with three roosters. I went into the coop today and one of the ducks had a broken neck. Nobody else was injured or dead. There was no blood, no apparent puncture wounds. I checked to see if she could have got stuck somewhere but there was no where for this to happen. Could the two drakes have broken her neck? Would a predator have gotten in some how and just broke her neck and left the rest? I am so confused and concerned....and sad
perhaps one of the drakes hurt her while trying to mate. Maybe she hit her head somehow. But I am sorry for the loss :(:(

@azygous

A closed coop for ten birds. What are the dimensions? Anything less than 100 square feet, you would have overcrowding, leading to conflicts. A duck could get in the way of a brawl and get injured.

I have a terrific imagination and I can come up with a lot of ways a duck could die suddenly, and that's what I would need to do because you haven't given me enough information to even come close to stumbling on the cause of death.

Ages, laying history, flock history, individual behavior, location and climate, photos of the coop, diet all may provide clues.

Back
Top Bottom