mysterious death in young chicken

leisingerchicks

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
hi!
I had a three month old polish pullet who mysteriously died today. She was moving slow yesterday, and today I found her dead under the horse trailer. Today it is about a hundred degrees, so I was wondering if she could have died of heat? The only thing is, it wasn't that hot yesterday when she started having symptoms. Also, what should I do with the other chickens. If she was sick, should I sanitize their waterer and feeder? I was also wondering how to keep the other chickens cool during hot days like today. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!

We had similar problems last September. When it happened twice we took the birds to be necropsied. What state do you live in? You should be able to look up online for your USDA office I believe it was. Anyway, I eventually got to the California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory System. They did it for free. Turns out they had both Infectious Laryngotracheitis and Fowl Pox wet form. We'd never heard of these diseases before and it was quite a learning experience. Both can be brought on by stress and high heat is definitely stressful. The vet there was extremely reassuring. We were wondering what we were doing wrong. These diseases can travel and we live on acrea properties with neighbors who also raise chickens.

TIPS for heat: Provide plenty of shade and water bowls that the chickens can actually stand in to cool off. It is important that the water be in the shade. Actually watch your shade patterns-they change over time due to the tilt of the earth. We use heavy rubber bowls so the chickens don't tip them over in the cooler months, but they get hot in the summer- try light colored ceramic dishes- dog bowls work great. Good luck!

Let us know if you lose anymore birds. We know it can be heart wrenching. Ignorance was bliss sometimes be too educated makes us paranoid. Survival of the fittest still seems to be the case. It is usually the sweet birds that don't make it and the grumpy ones that survive the longest.

I am completely new to chickens, so I am no help, but still wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss.

We had similar problems last September. When it happened twice we took the birds to be necropsied. What state do you live in? You should be able to look up online for your USDA office I believe it was. Anyway, I eventually got to the California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory System. They did it for free. Turns out they had both Infectious Laryngotracheitis and Fowl Pox wet form. We'd never heard of these diseases before and it was quite a learning experience. Both can be brought on by stress and high heat is definitely stressful. The vet there was extremely reassuring. We were wondering what we were doing wrong. These diseases can travel and we live on acrea properties with neighbors who also raise chickens.

TIPS for heat: Provide plenty of shade and water bowls that the chickens can actually stand in to cool off. It is important that the water be in the shade. Actually watch your shade patterns-they change over time due to the tilt of the earth. We use heavy rubber bowls so the chickens don't tip them over in the cooler months, but they get hot in the summer- try light colored ceramic dishes- dog bowls work great. Good luck!

Let us know if you lose anymore birds. We know it can be heart wrenching. Ignorance was bliss sometimes be too educated makes us paranoid. Survival of the fittest still seems to be the case. It is usually the sweet birds that don't make it and the grumpy ones that survive the longest.

This is very helpful. Thank you. I have had a similar experience and our weather changes have been rough so it was hard to know.

Back
Top Bottom