Mysterious Egg # Drop...

jmrozic

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Upstate South Carolina
I have a very healthy, free ranging flock of 15 hens which produce 10-12 eggs per day. 2 weeks ago I introduced 5 new hens @ 5 months old and a rooster into the flock. Pecking order was quickly established, the rooster is "doing his job" and all the girls seem happy and content. Well, beginning 5 days ago, our normally productive flock has now only been giving us 4 eggs a day! What in the world! We live in SC and have had good weather, it's been slightly cooler in the last 2 weeks (only 85-90 during the days & cool at night), they act happy and healthy. Other than STRESS, I can't figure out this massive egg drop. Does anyone have any other thoughts? Thanks.

This happens at this time of year. The days get shorter and they start to lay fewer eggs.
If they have started their first molt, there should be even fewer eggs.
They will rev back up again as the days start get longer again in December.

Thanks for your input. We haven't noticed any difference in the past 2 years at this time, but who knows. I remember the girls laying really well in this weather because it was no longer 100 degrees during the day. I was thinking that is was just to coincidental that this drastic drop occurred right after I introduced the new rooster.

I've started to notice that all my ladies are laying their eggs in the mid morning instead of mid afternoon now & they are now putting themselves back in the coop at 7:30pm instead of 8:30. They know when the days are getting shorter because I didn't even know it!
lol.png
Now I'm hearing the rooster crow at 5:30am instead of 6:30, it's amazing how they know the days get shorter or longer.
smile.png

Hmmm.....I don't know. The weather is starting to cool off here too and my chickens are laying more this week than they have been. No signs of illness?? I hope the new chooks didn't bring anything with them. Have you checked for parasites? Maybe one of the new chickens is an egg eater. You could check for eggs several times during the day, note how many, but leave them in place until evening and see what happens. To me 2 weeks seems like enough time to get over the stress of new guys. Maybe they just found a new laying spot.... in bushes, under the house, hidden somewhere?

Hope you get lots of eggs soon!!

Back
Top Bottom