Mystery bantam from feed store

We
I don't think she came from a hatchery. Looks like a silver old English game bantam crossed with a white Silkie to me, but who knows for sure?
We actually did have an old English rooster.
In that case, yes there are plenty of possible parents with crests and of course the Silkies have feathered feet too.

Does your pullet have an extra toe on each foot? If so, she probably had one Silkie parent (crest, feathered feet, extra toe) and one other parent (non-silkie type feathers).

She only has four toes. I forgot, we also have cream crested legbar hens.

I don't think she came from a hatchery. Looks like a silver old English game bantam crossed with a white Silkie to me, but who knows for sure?
We did have an old English rooster and hen but I'm not familiar with the breed so I don't know what color they were considered. The rooster was mean as a snake so we got rid of the pair.

We actually did have an old English rooster.

She only has four toes. I forgot, we also have cream crested legbar hens.
With only the usual four toes on each foot, she is probably not a Silkie-cross. (Some Silkies do produce chicks without the extra toe, but it is not particularly likely.)

But she could have a Cream Legbar mother, or a Polish parent, to provide the crest.

At least one parent must have a crest, and at least one parent must have feathered feet.

She is bantam sized. Smaller than our silkies. Maybe 8 inches tall.
We dont have any brahma roos. We have a hen that was sold to us as a buff brahma, but shes about the size of our legbar and smaller than an orpington. Shes buff columbia colored, but I question her being a brahma because of her size.

She is bantam sized. Smaller than our silkies. Maybe 8 inches tall.
In that case, probably a cross of Old English Game Bantam with something else.

Maybe even OEGB crossed with one of the Silkies (not all Silkies have the gene for 5th toe, and a Silke would definitely account for the crest and the foot feathering.)

If all the Silkies have the correct black skin, then probably a Silkie mother and OEGB rooster for the father. (One of the genes involved in Silkie skin color is sex-linked, so a hen inherits it only from her father, not her mother.) But if one of the Silkie roosters has light skin (not the proper Silkie black), then he could be the father, with an OEGB hen for mother.

We dont have any brahma roos. We have a hen that was sold to us as a buff brahma, but shes about the size of our legbar and smaller than an orpington. Shes buff columbia colored, but I question her being a brahma because of her size.
Brahmas do come in a large size and a bantam size, but it sounds like your "Brahma" is an in-between size that is not right for either.

Considering the size and the color, I think she is not likely to be the mother of the mystery pullet, but it's not impossible (would require a crested rooster who has the silver gene.)

Back
Top Bottom