mystery chick now 5 month old

Rainier

Songster
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Thurston County, WA
So we got some chicks from a co-worker who had a backyard flock, mostly mutts. We guessed, I posted pictures and we got a lot of different responses. The most common answer was mutt ;)

Now that the chicks in question are older I'll try again for guess. We know they are pullets because they are laying eggs.

Current

One of these is the Australorp chick we got from a feed store

Last edited:
I think they are Black Orpingtons not Australorps. They have the wrong looks as chicks to be Australorps.
They are so pretty!

Last edited:
They are Black Orpingtons not Australorps. They have the wrong looks as chicks to be Australorps.
They are so pretty!

As chicks they looked so different than the Australorp chick but then the feathers came in and I thought well maybe they are. I'll have the chicken whisperer catch the ones in question and get really good pictures of their faces, combs and body.

We got them from a co-worker and all he said was "roo was all black and mom was a Barred Rock" so not much help from him!

We cannot tell them apart now! Help ID'ing the Australorp would be helpful as well.

Last edited:
They are Black Orpingtons not Australorps. They have the wrong looks as chicks to be Australorps.
They are so pretty!
I do love the way they look. Very pretty, friendly and come when called ;)

here is the Australorp as a chick

Mystery chick about the same age

more as babies

Last edited:
Maybe that's why they look a little different. I think they are half Black Orpington because they don't look as full bodied as a purebred Orp.
I got this pic off google.....not all of them are THAT fluffy though.

Maybe not full fluffiness then. The chick has the wrong coloring and pattern for a Australorp.
This is my Australorp as a baby. She looks really different.

Back
Top Bottom