N. Texas chicken run and torrential rain

Good to know. How did your flock do with our record days of 100+ temps in June and July (esp. the 108-110 range)? Did you need to do anything special besides provide them with shade and water? What kind of coop do you have? Thanks.
Our tractor shed is 20' x 30' and we use it as our main flock's shelter. There ais a 3' x 12' "coop" in the shed along with several roost bars along the walls about five feet up.

I used a few busboy trays filled with water because many of our chickens were trying to get into our waterers, they'd get in and wade around. My wife also froze canned corn into pans of water. The chickens loved it.

As long as they only have to wade through a flooded run occasionally, not every time it rains, they will be fine. My run is 95% dry except for the Spring sideways rain monsoons. Then my run will get a creek running through it. The girls don't mind and will eat and drink as normal. I have lots of roosting in the run so they don't have to be on the ground if they don't want to.

Back
Top Bottom