Naked Neck chick unusual coloring

Motts

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 15, 2013
Hi,
I have a 4 day old Naked Neck Turken. I have never owned one before and most pictures show a solid colored bird. This chick has unusual coloring of her first wing feathers. Has anyone ever seen coloring like this? Could this indicate that it is a roo instead?

Thanks,
Motts

Hi,

What a pretty little chick! Its coloring is built on the e+ allele. "Wildtype". That is why you see the chipmunk markings on it. The several colors on the wings are natural for this allele. When the chick is feathered out it will have pretty stippling on the feathers ( like someone stood over it and sprinkled fine, fine grains of pepper lightly over the feathers. It is a very pretty look and one of my favorites.
Now if the chick has some other color genes affecting the "wildtype" coloring, then it could have simple barring on the feathers instead of the stippling Or some other interruption of the pretty stippling.
This color is a fun one to watch grow out, smile. The chick goes thru 3 set of plumage. 1st the chick down and then the juvenile feathering, and lastly the adult feathering. In this "wildtype" it isn't till you get to see the adult feathering before you know for sure what color genes are in there and how close (or perfectly) you will be to the pretty "stippling" effect. In its pure form "wildtype" is called "Black Breasted Red".
Now as to the sex. it looks a bit old to be feather-sexed, if that is possible with this chick. However, wait until the neck feathers ( called the hackle) start to grow out. You will be able to see this in the juvenile feathering. When they get long enough, you will be able to see that the ends of those neck feathers are either rounded or pointed. If they are rounded, it is a female. If they are pointed, it is a male.

whoops. I missed this is a Naked Neck. Ok, it is only 4 days old. If it can be feather sexed, then it must be done today. Hold out one of the wings very gently and look at it. Here is an illustration of what you will be looking for to see if it is a male or female. Some breeds and strains can be feather sexed, some can't : https://survivalfarm.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/chicken-sex-feather-sexing-day-old-chicks/ I have feather sexed my chciks on day 4. Don't let the article throw you. If you see only short feathers like in the diagram, then you either have a cockerel or your strain cant be feather sexed. it would sure help if you had more than one chick to work with.

Best Success,
Karen

Last edited:
Thanks so much Karen! Unfortunately, I did not get your reply for a few days and could not tell the difference in the feathering. "She" is the calmest of this bunch of chicks. They are a little more skittish then my last group. You gave such great info in a nice concise format. I'll post pictures as she grows for others and when she is grown.

Thanks again
yippiechickie.gif

Marci

More than welcome. Well give it some weeks and he/she will either crow or not, smile.
Best Success,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom