Naked Neck in a Tree

lilapot

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2016
Houston, TX
We got a couple new chickies a month ago, now they're about 2 and half months old. One is a naked neck named RBG and she keeps hiding in trees at night. Last night she was ten feet up a tree. SHould I just let her sleep out there? Do predators look in trees for chickens? I feel like I should honor her nature, she is so insistent, but not if it's just irresponsible chicken ownership.

Every body has their own way... here she would be owl, raccoon.. or some others nighttime predator dinner in short order. In other words yes predators look in trees.

I suggest using some treat or other training method to herd and lock them in at night until she sets a routine. Say right before you know she is gonna head that way. Meal worms are popular. I won't use scratch... but whatever works for you AND your birds. They aren't all motivated by the same things.

It usually takes a couple days or a few... For ME... I would be happier with her inside. I don't wanna have to climb a ladder if I need to treat or check for anything.

Some have found their coops are too dark, keeping the birds from heading in. By adding light inside for a few days while the birds recognized they need to get in before the sun disappeared, they easily sat a new routine and were able to eliminate the dusk light permanently.

As a last resort, I would move her in at night after she settled down and lock her in... again until she get's the point, a few days maybe. Most the time they rather go in than be handled.

I will note that roost time antics can be chaos so maybe there is another bird she is avoiding? They usually learn to go in a little sooner or later when that is the case. And it always good to note the possibility of roost mites buggin'... which I don't actually suspect in this instance.

If you can afford the loss and it won't bug you and aren't worried about the elements... free in the trees is a personal choice.

A little training can go a long way towards happy keepers as well. :thumbsup

Hope this is helpful.. NN were great birds when I had them. Very hardy, calm, confident, human friendly, and entertaining. :pop

We got a couple new chickies a month ago, now they're about 2 and half months old. One is a naked neck named RBG and she keeps hiding in trees at night. Last night she was ten feet up a tree. SHould I just let her sleep out there? Do predators look in trees for chickens? I feel like I should honor her nature, she is so insistent, but not if it's just irresponsible chicken ownership.
Has she always done this, or is it a new behavior?
Whenever birds won't go into coop at night, I question whether there is enough space in coop for all birds present, especially when it's a 'junior' member of the flock.

There area lot of things I don't know about your situation. Your location for example, how cold will it get this winter? I've seen chickens sleep in trees with the temperature below zero Fahrenheit so that doesn't freak me out like it would some people, but it is still something to consider. I don't know what specific predators that you might have but you probably have owls and nighttime predators that can climb. There are very few places in the world where you won't find a nighttime predator that is a threat to chickens. I don't know your risk aversion. How much would it hurt you to lose a chicken? To some people that would be devastating, to others not so much. I don't know anyone that thinks it is a good thing.

I would not call it irresponsible chicken ownership. Growing up on the farm Dad let some of his sleep in trees or in a barn not closed off from predators, so did many of my neighbors and relatives. To them chickens were livestock, not pets. The loses were very few. When one was lost the predator was identified and eliminated. It is a choice you need to make for yourself. The risk is probably a little higher than letting them free range during the day but probably not a lot more risky.

Those chicks are about 10 or 11 weeks old. They have probably just started roosting. If you want some suggestions as to how to get that chick to sleep in a coop I'd like some information so I know what you are working with. Where does the other one sleep, is it roosting yet? Where were they sleeping before this one moved to a tree? How many other chickens do you have and what are their ages? Do they sleep in a coop? How big is that coop and do you have an attached run where you could lock all your chickens for a while? Photos are often a big help. I assume they all free range?

Good luck!

I like the light idea, I have used it in the past and it has worked. Treats work too if it is something they love; use it only at evening time and they will think of the treats they will get.

Leaving chickens in trees is not really an option where I live because of the tree climbing predators.

Sometimes, though, a chicken does what a chicken does and we humans have to accept that. I would try to get her to go inside if you can, as I would think she is safer that way.

Good Luck!

It's fairly obvious when the chickens are looking for a roost or getting ready for bed. I have one that runs around chirping and looking upwards for a good 15 minutes, trying to remember where her bed is. I think she'd rather be up a tree but she doesn't have access. Maybe try catching her when she's doing this before bed - before she flies up in the tree.

And the night light trick really works. Makes the lit coop more inviting than the dark scary tree.

Back
Top Bottom