I have a Turken is it too cold or should i do something

Swampy_9

Chirping
Apr 3, 2023
My last post was a jumble mess so im kind of reasking?

I have a rooster just so happens he's a naked neck one. He's pretty big actually and fat so his weight i think is perfect. This week on we are in the single digits to just bellow zero. We have been getting high winds and it makes it that much colder. I've been keeping the coop nice and warm and ventilated . Its just while he's out he tends to seek out the big containers ive been keeping out and hiding in there. Now he does crow, eat and drink water as far as i've seen

Really he acts the same except with like an injured foot and im sure the cold isnt helping him at all. But he does hide away in these boxes. Is it too cold? should i do something different to keep him warm? i have this tiny heater for my dogs. should i put it in a box with him? do i make him a tiny scarf or something?

Edit: I did bring him in to my home tonight given its so cold and that his wattle is black and swollen.

Edit: I also brought in my hen who's wattle was also bad. Not terrible but bad.

Any idea on how to help the swelling go down? Don't mind that they are wet they just finished drinking and already are dry I have them both in a dog kennel given its the only thing I have.

Attachments

• 20240114_112314.jpg
    20240114_112314.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240114_112325.jpg
    20240114_112325.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240114_112309.jpg
    20240114_112309.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Sorry that happened to him, I’m glad you’ve brought him in. Since he has frostbite already so he should not be exposed to cold weather again. Keep him inside until it warms up. The parts of his wattles that have frost bite will fall off over time.

I had a (dumb) rooster stand out in -35F windchill once and he got terrible frostbite. In cold weather wind and wet combine to make very dangerous conditions for exposed skin. If you have other chickens with big combs they should stay out of the wind until the weather has warmed up.

Sorry that happened to him, I’m glad you’ve brought him in. Since he has frostbite already so he should not be exposed to cold weather again. Keep him inside until it warms up. The parts of his wattles that have frost bite will fall off over time.

I had a (dumb) rooster stand out in -35F windchill once and he got terrible frostbite. In cold weather wind and wet combine to make very dangerous conditions for exposed skin. If you have other chickens with big combs they should stay out of the wind until the weather has warmed up.
Yes of course.
It's going to warm up layer this week at least in the 20s but not windy. Would that be okay?

I think his wattle may have just gotten injured. He's gotten into a fight where it swelled up but never got so black. I believe tomorrow may be the only other day that's windy and cold. But the rest of the week during the day will be 20 and it will drop to 4 in the nights

Last edited:

I also know I shouldnt keep him so warm cause he won't get used to the weather but he is in my room given the rest of the house is occupied.

Would it be so terrible do you think if I left My heater in timers? Like letting it cool and heat? Its warmer in here but like not too terribly warm so should I keep a heater om?

Last edited:
I also know I shouldnt keep him so warm cause he won't get used to the weather but he is in my room given the rest of the house is occupied.

Would it be so terrible do you think if I left My heater in timers? Like letting it cool and heat? Its warmer in here but like not too terribly warm so should I keep a heater om?
That does look like frostbite to me, it does cause the flesh to turn black and swell. I’m not an expert though.

I think I read that with frostbite that they shouldn’t be exposed to below freezing weather again until the frostbitten flesh has fallen off. I would try to keep him in 40-60 degrees.

That does look like frostbite to me, it does cause the flesh to turn black and swell. I’m not an expert though.

I think I read that with frostbite that they shouldn’t be exposed to below freezing weather again until the frostbitten flesh has fallen off. I would try to keep him in 40-60 degrees.
Alright that sounds pretty good to me. I've been keeping a heater going for them but not direct just warmer than in the house since we got no heat at all.

I think next week we'll be in the 40s. I find it so odd they both got bad given we've had worse weather last moth but I'll keep them in for the week.

Back
Top Bottom