Naked Neck/Turken Thread

gig.gif
No problem I get that a lot, as Draye said he has a double dose of the scaleless gene so has no feather follicles, no scales. He is completely natural, it is a completely natural genetic makeup, he can not grow feathers.
He looks soo adorable! Does he sleep with the other chickens?

They presumably had scales.
Without scales I wonder if Rudy is more at risk to skin damage, especially as he also has no feathers for protection.

Not sure, but so far no damage. I know breeding is not going to be easy the normal way. Balance problems for the boys, and the girls would need some sort of really good saddle to even attempt it. (or ai) Most anyone I know of has kept them a little more protected then me. (like indoor birds, not house, but inside temp controlled coop) I really want him to live his little chicken life, like a chicken and make what adjustments I need to w/I reason keep him safe and comfortable. I think he is likely more susptable to skin damage, like scratches and cuts, but from what I've read less likely to have many skin issues his feathered hatchmates could have, (lice,mites both feather and scale leg)

Rudy is amazing. It is neat to see that he is just as "chickeny" without feathers as his hatchmates!

Thought I would pop in and say hi! I am new to naked necks... I was talked into a few last season and now I am hooked. We just hatched out 6 naked neck x cream crested legbars. I am hoping for a crest and colored egg. Either way, I definitely got cuteness!

Back
Top Bottom