Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Sad Post: :hit So After years of trying I Finally found an Hatchery that has NN Bantams & will ship as small number of Chicks, I choose, Mixed group, Half were NN. . . Had the brooder set up & tested ready. I picked em up as soon as Post called, Next day Mail. all were Alive when I put in Brooder,

Then it ALL went Wrong... within the first 12 hrs 3 had die, then it was a few every couple hrs. with 3 days 10 had died. 8 were NN. they would eat and drink and seemed fine. Right up until/when dying they acted Normal. . . WHY ? are NN Bantams SO Delicate - Fragile to raise ? I do NOT blame the Hatchery, they have stood by the chicks from Get Go. . . Next spring I need to be better educated on NN day old needs.

We never know what happens .. during.. a shipment of live chicks. I've ordered live chicks a few times. Once, I had the same thing happen. I immediately called the place I got them from. I was leaning over the brooder, so the person on the other end could hear them crying..as they were laying there dieing! :( She said this happens once in a while, not often, but it does. So, she asked me how many had died, and how many looked like they weren't going to make it. They sent me more..actually more than the number that I said.
Call the place you got them from! They will probably work with you. The ones they sent in replacement were fine!

Sad Post: :hit So After years of trying I Finally found an Hatchery that has NN Bantams & will ship as small number of Chicks, I choose, Mixed group, Half were NN. . . Had the brooder set up & tested ready. I picked em up as soon as Post called, Next day Mail. all were Alive when I put in Brooder,

Then it ALL went Wrong... within the first 12 hrs 3 had die, then it was a few every couple hrs. with 3 days 10 had died. 8 were NN. they would eat and drink and seemed fine. Right up until/when dying they acted Normal. . . WHY ? are NN Bantams SO Delicate - Fragile to raise ? I do NOT blame the Hatchery, they have stood by the chicks from Get Go. . . Next spring I need to be better educated on NN day old needs.
Many times ordering shipped chicks, only once did I have some die. About the same as you've experienced, some died days after I got them. No clue why, and I've always took care of them the same. Chicks never looked weak, until they died.
Might never happen to you again either.

I put all 10 of them @ final rest this am, buried beneath a Purple/Blue Dwarf Rhodie . Somehow seemed Fitting as the were Banty Babies. and as Tiny as I've ever seen. . .
So I'm a SoftE and would rather have Cried then Not have Tried. The remaining chicks are starting 3 weeks old. and seem OK.
I've Fertile eggs due tomorrow. from same hatchery. there are a few Brodie hens sitting on wooden eggs. in anticipation :pop

I had a great hatch last yr first time using a incubator. This yr, not so good, 13 out of 30 some. Just left a silkie/giant who went broody all winter on some eggs (worked out great, no frozen busted eggs Lol! ) figured she'd go broody again if I left her eggs, yup! Was hoping for some more fm naked neck chicks, only hatched one with the incubator. She hatched one chick, looks like from the other pure white naked neck hen that was with her, one... Waited a few days and removed all eggs. Good thing I did. Only had one explosion, accompanied with severe uncontrollable dry heaving...good thing I hadn't ate breakfast yet Lol!
I removed all adults from the coop towards the end of her setting, but had to add the 13 teenagers, short coops, and needed them OUT of my garage. Was worried about how the single little one would do with the others, been working double shifts so I haven't been home to monitor.
DW said when mamma and chick goes outside, all the rest run into coop, when mamma went inside, they all ran out, Lol! Guess it might be OK.

I put all 10 of them @ final rest this am, buried beneath a Purple/Blue Dwarf Rhodie . Somehow seemed Fitting as the were Banty Babies. and as Tiny as I've ever seen. . .
So I'm a SoftE and would rather have Cried then Not have Tried. The remaining chicks are starting 3 weeks old. and seem OK.
I've Fertile eggs due tomorrow. from same hatchery. there are a few Brodie hens sitting on wooden eggs. in anticipation :pop

sorry for your loss.

good luck with your hatch!

Hoping these are pullets, or at least one of them, looks doubtful though. Haven't had time to watch them for behavior.
20170522_194654.jpg
20170522_194654(0).jpg
20170522_194647.jpg
20170522_194503.jpg
20170522_194435.jpg
20170522_194654.jpg
20170522_194654(0).jpg
20170522_194435.jpg

Oops, first time I've uploaded pics on this new format :lol:
No ooops about it, thanks for uploading in the full size instead of the thumbnail. I hate the thumbnail thing can't see a thing. Then you have to click each one individually and wait for the computer to decide if it is going to make it big enough to see. When people post those thumbnail pics and ask about gender I just click off the thread.

Back
Top Bottom