Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Would anyone here be interested in a young turken boy? He has a large bowtie but still a pretty boy. I just have too many boys here. He would be free. I just want to find a good home since he is a very sweet boy. He does have a best buddy rooster that he pals around with and he would love to have his buddy go to a new home with him!
smile.png

I can relate to the Weed Patch garden. I have 4 hens that literally follow me around when I have my mattock, trowel and buckets on my walker. They circle the the area I am am clearing, awaiting any bug that is exposed and race to grab it.. They have spent hours with me as I have cleared the garden beds for replanting this year. I am about to change and go out to continue the weed battle in the big vegetable garden, and the ladies will be angry since they are fenced out. I have several squash and melon seedlings surviving the heat. That garden will be primarily chicken food, the hot weather planting are squash, melons, millet and other hot weather grains. Want to keep the ground in use to avoid another weed overgrowth like I have had this last spring. I am a third of the way through the planting, and maybe will even have room to try peanuts. If I can keep them watered well enough, I still have enough hot growing days, we don't even start to cool until October, and frost is usually in Nov. I am determined to learn to garden in the oven known as Central Texas. I am beginning to get the knack for hot weather crops, but still am searching for the tricks for cool weather foods, such as greens and potatoes. I am thinking I will plant a variety of brassicas as a cover crop, maybe chick peas or fava beans too over the winter and see if they survive and produce. The hens love kale and mustard greens even when they are limp from the grocer's waste barrels, so I think they will delight in fresh greens over the winter.

This is my Silkie Naked Neck cross.  It was sold as a Showgirl egg, but it doesn't have Silkie feathers, so is it still a Showgirl?  Love it either way!  My kids got REAL creative with her name...  meet.... Showgirl.

Does anyone else watch reruns of "the Sopranos"?

Tell me this girl doesn't look live "Syl" lol!!!

Here is the new threesome, not a great pic but they still aren't very people friendly, working on that w/ dubia therapy (feeder insects)

Draye what do you think the likely parentage is for the little white girl (
fl.gif
)?

Here is the new threesome, not a great pic but they still aren't very people friendly, working on that w/ dubia therapy (feeder insects)

Draye what do you think the likely parentage is for the little white girl (
fl.gif
)?
I can't really know for sure but I've gotten alot of those myself. My best guess is the barred roo over the red or buff hens. I do not have any hens with that coloring.
The black chicks I guessing are from my black hens.
I don't think that I will be breeding anymore NN's from my current flock, they have been a disappointment to me, I think maybe because of not being pure for the naked neck gene.
I think I'll get me a good Easter Egger roo and put over the NN hens to make future green eggers with naked necks.

I can't apologize enough about the chicks and your hatch rate. I noticed that in the later hatching the rate was not nearly as high as in Feb., Mar. and Apr. Maybe I can make it up to next year when I get my new hens to laying.

Regards,
draye

Here is Melvin (thought to be Melissa for quite a while!).

He's pretty big, very red, very loud, very black and a complete woos.

I can't really know for sure but I've gotten alot of those myself. My best guess is the barred roo over the red or buff hens. I do not have any hens with that coloring.
The black chicks I guessing are from my black hens.
I don't think that I will be breeding anymore NN's from my current flock, they have been a disappointment to me, I think maybe because of not being pure for the naked neck gene.
I think I'll get me a good Easter Egger roo and put over the NN hens to make future green eggers with naked necks.

I can't apologize enough about the chicks and your hatch rate. I noticed that in the later hatching the rate was not nearly as high as in Feb., Mar. and Apr. Maybe I can make it up to next year when I get my new hens to laying.

Regards,
draye
The chicks you hatched w/ the coloring of the light colored NN, have any of them turned out to be girls??????
fl.gif
I can't wait to see what she looks like, I really like her coloring so far, and she is far brighter (common sense wise) the the other two. The first time I fed them dubias, she knew instantly what to do w/ them, one little black one finally figured it out sort of, but the other one is still clueless!

The chicks you hatched w/ the coloring of the light colored NN, have any of them turned out to be girls??????
fl.gif
I can't wait to see what she looks like, I really like her coloring so far, and she is far brighter (common sense wise) the the other two. The first time I fed them dubias, she knew instantly what to do w/ them, one little black one finally figured it out sort of, but the other one is still clueless!
Most I've sold, but I've still got two or three and I think at least one of them are a girl. Still a bit young yet, but the boys are starting to show their bright red combs. They are about 3 weeks old now.

Back
Top Bottom