Naked Neck/Turken Thread

x 2.

What color would you call him? Blue-tailed Blue-winged White?
I am not sure. But he is definetly my boy. I am glad I kept him. I had to many roosters and gave a bunch away. It was between him and another. I can not wait to start hatching and see what I get.

NN EE from bHep, could have been frizzled

NN/Polish from Heinz77, also have a few NN Welsummers I hatched at Christmas
(old picture) also have one not NN(you can see it in the next pic)

Taken Saturday, the red hatched from an NN Welsummer egg, other 2 are OE

Congrats!! What made you decide naked necks for your first bird?
I first saw naked necks a year or so ago at a small farm and field day in Balingup, WA and fell head over heels in love with them and started reading up on chickens in general. It took a few more months for me to actually track down a local breeder and beg her to sell me some. I love their wacky appearance, warm weather hardiness and their feed efficiency.

@draye: The weather is god awful and my mother in law's birds can be seen gasping for air and holding their wings out, where as my little guys are feeling cool and fine in true naked style. It's a good 107 degree F down here at the moment :/

@Georgia Boy 1970:Thanks for the warm welcome. We have had extremely unfortunate accidents with 1 chick getting Wizard of Ozzed by a loose metal sheet and 1 chick seemed to have been cut on something and died, thinking maybe a cat or fox got a claw in the cage or maybe she caught on the wire we'd bent to keep the cage closed. Realizing how fragile birds can be, a harsh awakening :( But yes, definitely have chicken fever.

The feathered childrens are about 8 weeks old by now and growing steadily :)

Last edited:
I lost my one and only NN..my white that I had as an Avatar. It is so cold here. Colder than we've had in years. Way down into the minus'. She just didn't want to come out into the cold. Would for a bit to eat a little, then back to the roost where I have a heat lamp in the coop, but it's still cold in there. This cold snap is supposed to go away by Wed, or Thus. I can't believe this. I love that girl. She was just beautiful! Was supposed to start laying this month. :(

It seems there is no middle ground right now. We are almost literally drowning.

All livestock is struggling to cope here....humans included! Where our lake ends and our field begins is now impossible to distinguish. The sheep are dying and nothing is thriving.
I am so sorry about your animals. It is bad enough when you lose any animal but to lose your big livestock is devastating.

A few pics from today

These are all Jaxom, when he hatched I would have never guessed he would have white in him.

And of course Reba.

Back
Top Bottom