Naked Neck/Turken Thread

He for sure. If it was RIR over a barred NN hen, that's a sex linked mating because of the barring. Barring is sex linked.

RIR or any non-barred roo bred with any barred hen will always give barred males and non-barred females.

This does not work the other way around- barred roo over RIR or anything non-barred because the barred roo will pass the gene to both sexes.

Other clues: black(barred is a black chicken with barred gene added) bred with a colored chicken very often produce chicks that start out black but show other colors(usually buff or brown) as they grow. Girls often have 'lacing' on hackles and upper breast. Boys often have color on the wing bow and later they get more color on the hackles, saddles. This chick is showing the classic boy 'off color' on his wing- those will become areas with the shiny rooster feathers as he molts again. And in this boy's case, the super solid feathers on breast is another indicator of male, on females it often is more like lacing or "spotty".

my RIR & NN chick (6 weeks) what do yall think is it a he or she??

I'm trying to understand why a male that hatched with black skin and now has dark red comb / wattles, when mated with all black skinned females, is not producing ALL black skin chicks. I kinda had it in my head that they would.
But on a happy note, I spent the morning *stalking* the nest boxes in the pullet pen (me sitting in the coop and repeating "Lay the egg, already!"), and all the girls exceed egg color expectations --- lovely blues and greens mostly as I expected.

You and me both. On roos that turn lighter at maturity, I understand that has to do with testosterone... but not *how* to breed that out nor the exact details(genes) necessary for that.. know it can be done because there are tons of silkies, cemanis with perfectly dark skinned mature roos.

Used to think those roos were not pure Fm, yet had a few roos out of Fm bred with normal (so could not be pure Fm) that stayed dark and didn't turn red or roos that could have been FmFm by being pretty dark skinned and out of Fm parents.. yet they threw normal skin chicks. I'm at a loss about this.

don't think Id is involved in those kind of cases, they usually mess up the Fm on skin right from hatch, either very patchy skin like a Holstein cow or the skin is so light it's flesh colored and you know it has Fm only because it has things like grayish skin on face, inside of their cloacas are gray/black and/or as they grow you can see their black bones showing thru(usually the skull, neck bones and parts of the esophagus).

could test them for Id by breeding with non-Fm and non-black chickens with green or slate legs, because if they produce any yellow or white legged birds, then Id is definitely present.

as for Fm pair throwing normal skinned chicks I simply mark both of them as Fmfm Fmfm.

Congrats on success as for the colored eggs! It's so cool you have something added to 'em besides just being NN Fm.

Last edited:
Awe, Naked Necks are so sweet! I love the pictures in here. It brings back fond memories of sitting outside on a nice, spring day with a bunch of young Naked Necks perched on my lap, soaking up the sun. :)

Thanks Kev!

This is the little Cochin hen that had the nest in a brush pile a little while back.

And her 8 chicks, 4 with naked necks.

I have no clue who the father(s) are, but *thought* it must be someone barred with a naked neck. Well slap me and call me silly, but all the barred chicks are males,

so that hen is barred. I'd never noticed her barring, but her father is barred Cochin and mother is mille fleur Cochin. I always called her 'buff columbian' (yucky brown).

This is the coolest part...
The female black NN chick is MOTTLED!!!

I just noticed it this morning when I was cleaning their nasty pen. Am I oblivious or what?

Back
Top Bottom